Broken SNES

I went visiting relatives yesterday, and came away with a snes that someone had left there at some stage. I know absolutely nothing about these things, anyway I plugged it all in but it doesn't seem to work.

The tv shows a black screen. There is red light on the top of the unit.

The game cartridge is in, although it makes no difference either way.

My question, is there something I haven't done, or is the unit stuffed?

The game (it only had one) is called Donkey Kong Country.

Blow inside the cart and then use a Q-Tip and some rubbing alcohol and clean the contact pins on the bottom of the cart. Plug it in again and see what happens.

The thing inside that holds the carts. could be crooked. I'm talking about the plastic thing that's triggered by the "on" switch (open the little shutter where the cart should go, switch on the console, and you should see it).

That's how mine broke after more than 5 years :)

Edited by Weirdy

But arent the R2 SNES completely different?

With a similar shape to the Japanese 1st production models before the revision in 2000.

The thing inside that holds the carts. could be crooked. I'm talking about the plastic thing that's triggered by the "on" switch (open the little shutter where the cart should go, switch on the console, and you should see it).

That's how mine broke after more than 5 years :crybaby:

Yeah... When I turn it on, the plastic part comes out straight but one side can be pushed back with my finger, making it crooked.

Got a Gamebit? Open it up and get a look at things functioning from the inside. I bet you can fix it yourself if you've got a clean look at it and some imagination.

What have you got to lose? It's not working as-is and you didn't pay for it right?

Right. No Gamebit.

Might have to break it open seeing as I didn't pay for it.

edit: it wasn't going to come open without destroying it.

Under a strong light i looked at the rom slot and found a bit of dust and a few hairs.

Tried one last time and the thing worked!

How to play? no idea. What do the controller buttons do?

What is the object of the game?

So far I pressed Select and it would let me load a saved game only.

Then I entered ngauty's lair and got killed (a few times)

The arrow keys don't seem to do anything. Same with the shoulder buttons.

Now what? How do I start a brand new game instead of using the saved one?

Donkey Kong Country rules

I remember I used to play it for countless hours when I was a little kid. It would just be me in one room playing and cursing each time I would die.

memories

Anyway; b button = jump; hold y button = run, A and X button gets you off of your animal buddies, SELECT is to tag between Diddy and Donkey Kong.

The arrow keys are to move around, start is to pause. The shoulder buttons don't do anything.

With y you can also utilize the special skill of a couple of your animal buddies: the Rhino will thrust its horn and the swordfish will thrust its sword. You can glide with the ostrich by jumping and rapidly tapping the b button.

You can start a new game after the title screen. If you couldn't move where it shows the 3 save slots, then your controller is probably broken.

The object of the game is to complete all of the stages until you reach King K. Rool on his ship. There are bonuses on each stage but they don't amount to any progress upon completion (though on DKC 2 and 3, they do).

Edited by Weirdy