AMD buys ATI

Gryph

This has been rumored for the past few month and it's finally come true! I'm not sure what exactly this will mean for the consumer though.

AMD (NYSE: AMD) and ATI (TSX: ATY, NASDAQ: ATYT) today announced plans to join forces in a transaction valued at approximately $5.4 billion. The combination will create a processing powerhouse by bringing AMD’s technology leadership in microprocessors together with ATI’s strengths in graphics, chipsets and consumer electronics. The result: A new and more formidable company, determined to drive growth, innovation and choice for its customers, particularly in the commercial and mobile computing segments and in the rapidly-growing consumer electronics market. Combining technologies, people, and complementary strengths, AMD plans to deliver in 2007 customer-centric platforms for the benefit of customers who want to collaborate in the development of differentiated solutions.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Corporate/Virtual...~110899,00.html

Well, in the current generation of graphics, it's as good as it can get, it's all a matter of exploiting it now. I can see this generation of graphics not changing for a 5-6 years. 8 if I was crazy enough to say.

With all of the shader tech we have now, how far can we truely push graphics now?

BWAHAHAHAHAHA! THE DOWNFALL OF NVIDIA AND INTEL IS IMMINENT!! :D

ROFLCAKES

Even with Core Duo 2 (or whatever that was)?

Whatever that is, AMD Athlon FX series owns its ass. Also, ATi Radeon X1000 series AND Crossfire pwn ALL Nvidia cards and SLI. :D

But nVidia has suddenly taken the lead again with some excellent selection of cards. Nothing beats SLI, it also doesn't require a whole new board :D

BWAHAHAHAHAHA! THE DOWNFALL OF NVIDIA AND INTEL IS IMMINENT!! :D

ROFLCAKES

Even with Core Duo 2 (or whatever that was)?

Whatever that is, AMD Athlon FX series owns its ass. Also, ATi Radeon X1000 series AND Crossfire pwn ALL Nvidia cards and SLI. :D

You're so wrong. Conroe performs better than the comparable Athlon. AMD has slashed prices dramatically just to not be completely owned.

I'd say that Nvidia and ATI are both neck and neck and depends on which company you prefer to go with. I sort of agree with K'dash on the length of this generation of graphics hardware. I think Shader Model 3 and DX10 will last a very long time but they will continue to make cards faster and faster with more texture memory.

I'm very interested in seeing how Havok effects physics will pan out on SLI and Crossfire. I never imagined myself ever going SLI or Crossfire but if what they show is better than getting PhysX then might as well go for that. Meaningful gameplay physics on accelerated hardware is far far away so effects physics is a tough sell to me. It won't really happen till next console generation.

Not sure if Mooney was sarcastic there.

You're right about ATI and Nvidia being neck to neck. However, Crossfire seems to me to be a rushed technology to keep up with SLI.

For the moment, I think Nvidia and ATI will just try to squeeze more speed out of their current technology.

Later when DX10 is near release, I'd expect some real technology advancements.

I saw today in various news articles that Nvidia are aiming for photo-realistic graphics. The CEO is aiming for "Superman Returns" type graphics as its end-goal.

On the physics side, I think it will take at least 3 years after Microsoft incorporates physics into DirectX before we'll start taking physics accelerators seriously.

Right now, the game makers are writing non-standard physics code (I don't see Havok as a standard - it is more an API). They are happy enough to do that. This is panning out similarly to how the first generation of 3D polygon graphics started.

Well, in the current generation of graphics, it's as good as it can get, it's all a matter of exploiting it now. I can see this generation of graphics not changing for a 5-6 years. 8 if I was crazy enough to say.

With all of the shader tech we have now, how far can we truely push graphics now?

It's gonna keep going until we can play picture-perfect graphics in realtime. We still haven't mastered volumetric shading and junk such as that yet.