The Israeli-Lebanon Conflict

Gryph

if the kidnappers get cornered, they WILL kill the soliders, everyone knows that...

I've been a soldier myself. And in the last days i've thought about if i would be able to commit suicide in order vanish the reason for war. I came to the conclusion that the war didn't start because of the soldiers. It has no sense at all to try and free them that way.

It's named because it is a excuse.

we get along great

Indeed. I'm living and learning with several muslims in a small german city, visiting the local university. It's not only a get along, it's a friendship.

Alltho if you get told - on both sides of the conflict - from the child-age on that the neighbours are bad, you don't rethink about the reason why you don't like your neighbours when you are old enought to do so.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i just really don't understand it....

look, Someboddy is Israeli right ? (and probably jewish)

Darken is palestinian (and probably muslim)

i'm egyptian (well egyptian american) and muslim (egypt and israel were mortal enemies at one point)

regardless of what our countries or leaders think, we get along great, and have no hate for one another (at least i don't).

why can't everyone else realize that?

It's just just like Dooz said: the person is smart. The crowd is stupid.

If an israeli meets a palestinian, they might get along. They might not. It all depends on them. However, if a group of 100 israelis meets a group of 100 palestininas - chances are each group will hate the other group...

i honestly think that the current pm is just trying to show that he's as tough (and a hardliner) as Ariel Sharon, but at the expense of the captured soilders...

I totally agree with this. There are few instances when war should be an option and this is not one of them.

i honestly think that the current pm is just trying to show that he's as tough (and a hardliner) as Ariel Sharon, but at the expense of the captured soilders...

I totally agree with this. There are few instances when war should be an option and this is not one of them.

I agree as well. We also have a stupid defense minister who knows nothing about military...

Well, the way I see it,if it develops into a all-out war, it won't be too easy for Israel ( which is very likely to happen btw. since Iran wants to see the "Zionist country" wiped off the face of the earth - israel can barely conceal their their feelings for Syria , since Israeli warplanes flew over the house of Syrian PM" not so long ago + palestinians vs. IDF in Gaza and now Lebanon ) . somehow I can picture all those said arab/muslim. countries teaming up if push comes to shove against Israel and then the Superpowers will have to step in. And that is where it wll become most interesting and also a bit of a volatile situation -

since the U.S is clearly backing Isreal ( bush said: "Isreal has the right to defend herself in the face of terrorism") where-as the other big players such as italy,france, China and Russia frowns upon the Isreali offence compaign, and labels it a overreaction. well - that wouldn't be the first time the U.S + brittain is at odds with the other superpowers ( China + Russia ) in the last two months over various matters - first they disagreed over Irans Nuclear -enrichment scheme - where the U.S,Germany and Great brittain is of the opinion that Iran is enriching Uranium for the purpose of making Nuclear weapons - where the other superpowers feel that every country has the right to engage in uranian enrichment for peaceful power generation purposes and that the U.S' attitude about this particular matter is totally uncalled for.

Secondly - again the U.S,Japan and Brittain feels that pyangyong's missile tests in north korea is a threat to global security, where china and russia may agree that the tests are wrong - they feel that no harsh action should be taken against pyangyong for doing so ( when it came down to a Vote for sanctions against north Korea - China voted against it and russia abstained ) for me it becomes quite clear who would side with who if it ever comes down to that .

conclusion - if the arab world goes all-out against Israel and the U.S steps in ( it's no secret that the U.S and Israel have strong ties ) to help them - I won't be surprised to see the other superpowers show their teeth too. let's just hope it doesn't play out like that.

I'm sorry this will probably piss some people out but :

http://edition.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/07...east/index.html

Olmert's comments came after Israeli Defense Minister Amir Peretz indicated Israel planned to create a buffer zone in southern Lebanon to stop rocket attacks from Hezbollah.

i.e New land grab.

The Lebanese Army confirmed that a military base near Beirut had been attacked.

so they claim that they DON"T want to weaken the central lebanese government, and they're only in there to remove hizbollah, but they're attacking lebanese army barracks? how does that work exactly?

and don't get this wrong, these are NOT hizbollah barracks, these are LEBANESE ARMY barracks.

Earlier Monday, Israel bombed Beirut's port, an army barracks and the capital's southern suburbs.

why?

that's the question that begs to be asked, Why? don't they already have a naval blockade?

and why bomb beiruit's suburbs? aren't hizbollah mainly in the south of lebanon?

I don't think Israel as a problem with the lebanese government as such, ( alltho they blame them for not being able to control/contain/discipline the hezbollah within Lebabon. That accusation seems justified when lebanese PM said "We dont now anything about ongoing hezbollah operations and how they are conducted " 0.o I mean as the prime Minister of your country - aren't you supposed to know everything about all of the militant groups within your borders and what they do all the time? The way it seems is that hezbollah has the freedom to move within lebanon unquestioned - even tho they may be moving out of the law-frame of Lebanon - while the lebanese government looks the other way.)

As for Israel bombing the Airport and parts of Beirut: according to Israel's minister of defence - they bombed the airport to prevent any logistical support to hezbollah ( be it weapons or actual military personnel ) from Iran or Syria through disabling all possible entry points.. the Raad missiles recently fired into Haifa and other towns are manufactured in Iran ( that in itself is insignificant, except for the fact that Iran denied supplying any weaponry to hezbollah) .

Edited by Permethium

dude, did you even read my post?

they bombed the PORT (i.e SEA PORT) even though they have a naval blockade.

the bombed the actual fuel tanks of the airport even thoguh they had already bombed the runways into unusable status.

they bombed a LEBANESE ARMY barracks (not Hizbollah, but LEBANESE ARMY) barracks.

as for the whole weak lebanese government, that's what the thing is, hizbollah is a strong organization with a militia, while the government has been going through hell trying to strengthen up (especially after hariri's death) and have a weak military (syria was doing all the protection for a long time).

henceforth, they're having a hard time dealing with hizbollah.

let me put it this way, does the Iraqi government have control over the militant groups in iraq?

does the usa itself know about all the militants in iraq and have information on them all? (if they do, then why aren't they doing something about them?)

so no, i don't think it's justified to blame the lebanese government.

((and btw, hizbollah roams freely in southern lebanon, not northern).

besides, yes hizbollah are being attacked right now, and no i don't condone their methods, but weren't they one of the main reasons israel left lebanon in the first place?

I don't trust Olmert and Peretz, and I believe many israelis don't trust those guys as well. I think they know it too, and they want to show Israel that they do something...

They have no strategy at all...