The Israeli-Lebanon Conflict

Gryph

so far i've heard : "war is good" and "about time israel did something"

just for the record, i know you stated your case quite clearly, but do you honestly mean to tell me, that a war that on average kills 2000+ people a month (any normal war that is) is better than 2000+ people in over 3 years?

how is that better for human life?

and as for "about time israel did something" when the flying flock did israel NOT do something? Israel is ALWAYS doing something.

Edited by Elazul Yagami

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About time Isreal does something to fight back.

Glad my attention on this topic has already run it's pace, since every opinion so far is the same, as this reply will surely encite flames.

No I agree. I respect that kind of zero tolerance / no bullshit approach that Israel is taking. Of course Israel has never taken this sh!t lying down, but this is certainly stepping it up.

Considerations of the value of human life aside, this kind of action is the best deterrent to Hezbollah scum and its ilk. And if the budding democracy in Lebanon takes a hit, then oh well. Collateral I guess.

Israel never took this crap lying down... so does that mean lebanese, palestinians and whoever else shouldn't "take israel's crap lying down" ?

i wonder what would happen if EVERYONE retaliated like israel did.

imagine, shooting a kid with a rocket launcher on the playground cause he pushed you over. bad example, i know, but it's a simple one.

edit: stronger similee(dunno how to spell it ) : is that of the school bully who lashes out at the entire class for the misdemeanours of one or two, in the process setting the whole school on fire.

flock Hezboallah and israel and all that bullshit, i just wonder if you would be talking like that if YOU and your loved ones were "Collateral", if your country finally after years and years of war and civil war was getting up on it's feet was shot down and called "collateral".

what israel is doing, is effectively Crippling lebanon, not hezbollah, they're getting MORE recruits for hezbollah, and ruining the lebanese infrastructure and economy.

oh and tell me this, if israel should have a zero tolerance / no bullshit policy, should everyone else be allowed this same right?

edit: i changed the termonology above

Edited by Elazul Yagami

from a news site

Bush said at a news conference in Germany with Chancellor Angela Merkel. "Every nation must defend herself against terrorist attacks and the killing of innocent life."

so all those innocent iraqi,palestinian and lebanese civilians, can they operate under the same concept?

Edited by Elazul Yagami

Bush really just means that the US is allowed to retaliate against terrorist attacks and the killing of innocent life. Even if we have no evidence as to who performed said killings.

Simple slip of the tounge, really.

also take a look at what robert fisk (located in lebanon) has to say... he has a knack for reporting the news in a more "human" method than cnn and it's ilk:

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/fisk/article1178636.ece

(before anyone decries him as an anti-israeli force or something, note the other article where he blames syria for the crisis).

I heard on the radio today that israeli soldiers used a missile to kill an armed Lebanese approaching their base. I was thinking - if an armed emeny is approaching your base, shoot him. Why in the world would someone waste an ultra expensive missile to kill one enemy in the open field?

That thought led me to the conclusion. Israel need to do something. Right now, we are not doing something. We are just showing off. It looks like we have no strategy at all here...

Libanon is member of the UN since 1945. Israel since 1949.

In the UN charta it clearly states:

The Purposes of the United Nations are:

1. To maintain international peace and security, and to that end: to take effective collective measures for the prevention and removal of threats to the peace, and for the suppression of acts of aggression or other breaches of the peace, and to bring about by peaceful means, and in conformity with the principles of justice and international law, adjustment or settlement of international disputes or situations which might lead to a breach of the peace;

If it is any time, then for the other UN states to take actions against these two members.

Unfortunally i'm thinking it is too late to have any effect. As a post somewhere above shows, the ppl have allready build up a deep hate, where the actual reason for this conflict doesn't matter anymore and both only claim that the last action they took is only an response to the opponents action.

I may a pessimist here, but the last strikes are only a outview on what is to expect: A war that leaves (at least) two totally destructed and from the rest of the world abandoned countries in the long term.

Unfortunately U.N. charter is basically lawless, the only way this could stop was from massive political pressure from all fronts (Yes, ALL of them).

Middle East has been at war with each other for thousands of years, who thinks theres going to be an era of peace in any of our lifetimes. My best bet is to just get the hell out of there and not look back. This is something NOT new to both the modern and prehistoric era.

i just really don't understand it....

look, Someboddy is Israeli right ? (and probably jewish)

Darken is palestinian (and probably muslim)

i'm egyptian (well egyptian american) and muslim (egypt and israel were mortal enemies at one point)

regardless of what our countries or leaders think, we get along great, and have no hate for one another (at least i don't).

why can't everyone else realize that?

that once the warmongers die down (and i mean those on BOTH sides) the people themselves will simmer down (see;taking advantage of people's anger)

i know for a fact, that there are at least 20,000 israeli's that hate what the government is doing in palestinian territories and protest it almost regularly.

i know for a fact that there ARE a minority that are regularly advocating for equal rights for arab-israeli citzens.

i know for a fact, that there are israelis and palestinians that get along regularly and even visit one another every once in a while.

so i can't generalize and say Israeli's are bad people.

however, i will NEVER condone or sympathize with people (israeli or not) that back their government's policies no matter what.

oh and someboddy, i honestly think that the current pm is just trying to show that he's as tough (and a hardliner) as Ariel Sharon, but at the expense of the captured soilders...

if the kidnappers get cornered, they WILL kill the soliders, everyone knows that... and yes, no one negotiates with "terrorists" but don't police negotiate with a kidnapper because they want the victim's safety above all? (and they negotiate until they capture the kidnapper)

do the police just send the swat team into a place that's full of hostages and a few lunatics ?

just one question i wish someone would answer honestly...

everyone in the modern world is saying that religon and state should be seperate right?

everyone is saying that all countries should be secular.

then WHY THE HELL is it soooo important for israel to maintain a "jewish majority" ?

why not let the expelled people back as israeli citzens, show them that they actually have a good life under the government, and have THEM be against anyone trying to destroy israel?