Announce: xdskey, an X-Windows DS2Key server

abcd1234

This is just a quick announcement about an X-Windows DS2Key server I've written, aptly named xds2key. This allows X-Windows users, particularly Linux/Unix users (though it works with Cygwin/X, as well), to use DS2Key with, well, any application that takes key presses.

Currently, it's quite primitive. It has fixed key mappings, it's pure text mode, etc, and really it was written as a proof-of-concept, but it functions, and I don't intend to work on it too much more. If anyone wants to add to it, though, feel free, as it's released to the public domain.

Anyway, you can find it here. Basic compiling/running instructions are there, but there's no fancy schmancy configure script or anything.

As for requirements, it just needs an X server that supports the XTEST extension... which encompasses any XFree86 or Xorg-derived server. Not sure about others (eg, Solaris).

Edited by abcd1234

I planned to make one in perl (a script controlling xtest).

I didn't have the time to test your server, but I will do

if I get the time.

Is your server an 'interactive' app or a deamon?

I thought about releasing my server in two version (deamon

and user version).

Maybe we can share some ideas, do you an msn messenger

account or any other messenger?

Send me a pm if you have time.

I planned to make one in perl (a script controlling xtest).

I didn't have the time to test your server, but I will do

if I get the time.

Is your server an 'interactive' app or a deamon?

Currently it's just a simplistic interactive app. Turning it into a daemon would be pretty trivial... just need to add a fork around the main app logic and disconnect stdout, stderr, etc.

Incidentally, my first instinct was Perl as well, but I couldn't think of a nice, portable way to get at the XTEST protocol without having to require external modules. I've never actually heard of this xtest program you refer to, nor could I find it on the Fedora box I'm in front of or the Debian machine I have at home... must be in some optional package somewhere. :P

I thought about releasing my server in two version (deamon

and user version).

Maybe we can share some ideas, do you an msn messenger

account or any other messenger?

Send me a pm if you have time.

Nah, I'm a luddite. :P Why not just discuss here? I check back frequently enough...

Currently it's just a simplistic interactive app.  Turning it into a daemon would be pretty trivial... just need to add a fork around the main app logic and disconnect stdout, stderr, etc.

Incidentally, my first instinct was Perl as well, but I couldn't think of a nice, portable way to get at the XTEST protocol without having to require external modules.  I've never actually heard of this xtest program you refer to, nor could I find it on the Fedora box I'm in front of or the Debian machine I have at home... must be in some optional package somewhere. :)

You're right it's XTEST not xtest and I meant the X11 extension XTEST

(the one that handles the XTEST protocol).

But you're right you need a the XTEST CPAN module for that (couldn't think of any other portable way, too).

But perl still could be a good way to make it platform independent (even

for Windows there is a GuiTest module that is used in a similar way).

I will work on a perl script, may be some users use it as template and customize it to their own needs.

Nah, I'm a luddite. :D  Why not just discuss here?  I check back frequently enough...

No problem.

sypherce mentioned he already talked to you.

You can have a own section on the ds2key website if you want (I don't

think sypherce has anything against that).

But perl still could be a good way to make it platform independent (even

for Windows there is a GuiTest module that is used in a similar way).

I will work on a perl script, may be some users use it as template and customize it to their own needs.

Actually, I'm not convinced portability is really a big deal. xds2key is pure C and quite portable as a result. About the only tricky bit is finding the X11 libraries. 'course, that's easily solved with a really dumb script (or you could get fancy and use autoconf).

What a Perl version would bring, however, is greater ease of modification. Combined with all the CPAN modules out there for interfacing with things like XMMS, etc, I could see some interesting applications getting dreamed up.

You can have a own section on the ds2key website if you want (I don't

think sypherce has anything against that).

Ha ha, yeah, that's probably overkill, particularly for an app I don't plan to work on any time soon (it works well enough for me, thus that itch is scratched). :) 'course, that's not to say someone couldn't take over the project and talk to sypherce about hosting. *shrug*

Actually, I'm not convinced portability is really a big deal.  xds2key is pure C and quite portable as a result.  About the only tricky bit is finding the X11 libraries.  'course, that's easily solved with a really dumb script (or you could get fancy and use autoconf).

What a Perl version would bring, however, is greater ease of modification.  Combined with all the CPAN modules out there for interfacing with things like XMMS, etc, I could see some interesting applications getting dreamed up.

I didn't try to convince you to use perl (I don't see any good reason to

not have a C based server around).

What I meant was exactly that, Perl is 'portable' (well platform

independent) and easy to customize at the same time.

Perl is not that hard to learn, even for beginners, so almost everybody

could add feature they need/like to the sevrer easily (if they really want

to).

Ha ha, yeah, that's probably overkill, particularly for an app I don't plan to work on any time soon (it works well enough for me, thus that itch is scratched). :(  'course, that's not to say someone couldn't take over the project and talk to sypherce about hosting. *shrug*

One page or so to describe the use of xds2key could be helpful to

some of the users, if I get some free time I could add it (some

information and instructions).

One page or so to describe the use of xds2key could be helpful to

some of the users, if I get some free time I could add it (some

information and instructions).

Well, I've tried to clarify the instructions on the website. I'm not sure how much clearer I can make it, since it's pretty simple to run... and I do expect a certain level of skill, since this is a Unix application. But if you want to set up a separate page, by all means, go for it.

• 4 months later...