WMP54GS Under Linux

So im running Debian (Sarge) on my PC, and i have a Linksys WMP54GS wireless PCI Card, which there are no native windows drivers availible for

Id been reading about using an NDIS Wrapper on the Windows Drivers and that should make it work, and then you have to manually configure it and everything.

Problem is, im missing the compiling tools, have no idea how to get them, and im only 50% sure i know how to do all this right anyway

Can anyone help me get some linux drivers for this card? Possibly compile it for me and ill figure out how to configure it? I need help bad. and running a bigass cat5 cable all the way downstairs isnt a permanent option.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So im running Debian (Sarge) on my PC, and i have a Linksys WMP54GS wireless PCI Card, which there are no native windows drivers availible for

Id been reading about using an NDIS Wrapper on the Windows Drivers and that should make it work, and then you have to manually configure it and everything.

Problem is, im missing the compiling tools, have no idea how to get them, and im only 50% sure i know how to do all this right anyway

Can anyone help me get some linux drivers for this card? Possibly compile it for me and ill figure out how to configure it? I need help bad. and running a bigass cat5 cable all the way downstairs isnt a permanent option.

I'm an Ubuntu user, and it's dead simple for us to install ndiswrapper... so I am afraid that I can't be of much help. But I can provide you with a link that seems reasonable

It suggests upgrading to the 2.6 kernel, if you haven't already. It would seem that NDISWrapper is in your repositories, but is only available for 2.6 kernels. I have been running 2.6 for a very long time, so I can assure you that it's fairly safe (and has lots of nice new features)

Ah, so I take it that you are new to Linux? That being the case, I might suggest using something that's a little more newbie friendly, such as Ubuntu or Suse. Ubuntu is getting a new release in another 3 days, that I assure you just plain rocks.

Debian is a very nice distro, but tends to be obsolete before it even comes out, and is better suited for servers than for desktop usage. Ubuntu on the other hand is based off of modern software, while still being firmly grounded in Debian. This makes it rather interestingly suitable for both desktop usage and for server usage (although I very much doubt that it will ever be as stable as Debian. It's for people who like to be on the bleeding edge).

Anyways, back to the problem at hand... A repository is a staple of any modern Linux distro. To put it simply, it's basically a massive collection of all the free software that the distro developers can find, and placed in one spot. The Debian/Ubuntu repositories are the envy of every man who owns a computer. Apt-get is the front-end to that repository. You tell apt-get that you want to install something like Firefox or a new kernel, and apt-get will download the package for you (along with any dependencies), install it, and set it up for you on your computer. It's a rather amazing program.

Anyways, to use it to install the 2.6 kernel on your PC, I will assume that you aren't running a graphical environment. (If you are, I might suggest using Synaptic, which is a graphical version of apt-get).

apt-cache search --names-only linux 2.6

This command will search through the repository for anything matching linux and 2.6. I'm not sure what the kernel package is called in Debian, but in Ubuntu it's something like this:

linux-image-2.6.15-23-amd64-k8

When you find the package you want to install, you can install it like this:

apt-get install linux-image-2.6.15-23-amd64-k8

You will need to reboot the computer at this point... (Kernel upgrades are the only thing that necessitates a reboot). After you reboot, in your grub menu should be a new entry for the kernel you just installed. Select it, and you should be good to go. You can test it by entering this at the prompt:

uname -r

yay thanks, yea im slowly learning and starting to get the hang of all this, i got my kernal upgraded and my wireless card installed, but now i am having trouble configuring it

I keep hearing about this ubuntu and how cool it is, i think im just going to switch to that if i dont get this configured and working soon

(One other annoyance i have is why are all the icons so huge? my screen rez is 1024X748 but everything is so huge!)

Fedora is supposed to be great but i havent tried it, i hear alot about Fedora

i think ill wait for the new ubuntu though because it has that huge directory of stuff for apt-get which i think (and according to his post if i read it correctly) is only for ubuntu and debian

Sorry, I've been a little distracted, and forgot to reply to this thread.

I've tried Fedora... it stayed on my PC for all of about a half hour before I completely got rid of it. The repositories are terrible, the OS is painfully slow, and the overly-frequent releases just make things a nightmare for maintenance. Fedora does have its uses, but as a desktop machine, I think it's just terrible.

Linspire I haven't tried... Mostly because I just don't have any interest in it. It tries to be a Windows replacement... I don't really have a whole lot of interest in making Linux exactly like Windows. I am also not interested in the non-free nature of Linspire... Debian and Ubuntu are a lot closer to my philosophy... Free.

Anyways, here's a few things of note about Ubuntu 6.06... (Just so you know why I love it so much).

is working just fine on both my laptop and my desktop. Beagle Search is up and running, and working fine. Network Manager makes wireless networks simple, even with WPA. It's FAST. If you are new to Linux, then Ubuntu Guide is your answer.

I've been running the alpha/beta versions for the last 4 months, with barely any problems. The release is just nice. And the final version should come out tomorrow. :D

Sorry, regarding icons, this is a shot of my desktop's desktop. Are your icons bigger or smaller than this? (my resolution is 1280x1024).

screenshot6nb.th.png

And let me know what you think of Ubuntu, or any problems that you have. :-) I'll answer them to the best of my ability, or let you know where you can get help if I can't.