FIFA World Cup thread

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish to share my dreaded list of intriguing and unsettling incidents I have observed so far, and I am not happy with all of them, to say the least.

Graham Poll. He is touted as England's top referee. In the June 22 Stage 1 match between Australia and Croatia, he showed Croatia's Josip Simunic three yellow cards before marching him off the pitch.

In soccer, I thought two yellow cards are enough to result in a red card and expulsion from the match!

Though Poll later apologised, blaming it as a case of mistaken identity. But he is now among the 14 referees sent home before the semi-finals start. British press says the international career of this full-time referee is practically over.

Valentin Ivanov.This Russion referee, whose father was also an illustrous World Cup footballer, set a World Cup record by showing 16 yellow and 4 red cards in the June 25, Round-of-16 Portugal vs Holland match. But then he blatantly ignored Dutch defender Khalid 'Cannibal' Boulahrouz who, not once but twice, studded on the inner thigh of Cristiano Ronaldo. I thought Boulahrouz should have been given the red card on the first instance as Rooney got his, this morning, for a much, much milder implication. But Boulahrouz was only given the march-off for the third serious foul, when he elbowed into Luis Figo's face.

All in all, Ivanov blew 10 fouls against the Netherlands, 15 against Portugal; but 7 yellow and 2 red cards to the Netherlands, and 9 yellow and 2 red cards to Portugal.

Rightly, Ivanov has also been asked by FIFA to pack up and go home.

Luis Medina Cantalejo. This referee is from Spain. In the Italy vs Australia Round-of-16 match on June 26, looking at the replays, I want to say I smell foul on his decision to fault Australia and award Italy Italy with the 93rd minute penalty that ended socceroo mania. You should see the replay of Italy's Fabio Grosso, that crooked, sinister smile on his face I normally associate with cheats, dived to gain the penalty against Australia with perfect display of showmanship.

Benito Archundia. This is a Mexican referee who stirred controversy during the June 19 match between France and South Korea. I looked at the replays, especially during the 31st minute when South Korean goal-keeper Lee Woon Jae was trying to scoop away a header from opponent Patrick Viera. The ball looked to have crossed the goal line. But the referee did not blow the whistle and instead, pointed to the centre circle, and alamak, gave a free-kick to South Korea.

I am not sure if this referee has bothered to check with the linesman.

Marcus Merk. This German referee took charge of the June 22 match between USA and Ghana. American defender Oguchi Onyewu and Ghana's forward, Razak Pimpong were engaged in a header grab, USA -- who looked to have win the header -- was faulted for a push and Ghana was given a spot-kick. In the end, Ghana's Stephen Appiah scored the winning goal and onward to the Round of 16.

I can only hope that these are but the few matches that endured the bad referees and bad refereeing this season -- inconsistency, doubtful calls, poor decisions, and overzealously card-happy! You probably could have spotted more than I did.

L.S.D let put it this way...

FIFA World Cup 2006 is the WORST world cup ever so far.

I wished ever nation world plays fair especialy Argentina and most of the southern Europeans with their fake fouls and looking for penaltys and of course some referees want their head kick-in.

Edited by Hexter

L.S.D let put it this way...

FIFA World Cup 2006 is the WORST world cup ever so far.

Why? What we can wait of england? england always lose :P Germany will win :thumbsup:

*Runs through*

Soccer is teh suck! Crazy soccer fans, it's not life or death!

Football Is For A$$holes :banghead:

Funny, because you'd fit right in.