Request for Testing (Internet Radio Client)

Grey

The code itself should work in pretty much any situation, regardless of how you are actually running code on your DS. (I myself developed this entirely in Linux, so it was tested from the first moment on by WMB, thus the high compatibility rate).

However, if you are seeing a black screen after connecting to the router, it's because your DS for whatever reason cannot connect to the streaming media server. It uses port 12260 for this particular stream, so you might want to check that the port isn't blocked by a firewall. You can also try playing the stream in winamp or xmms by opening the location. The url is: http://vruk.sc.llnwd.net:12260 Barring that, I'm not really sure what the problem might be.

Anyways, glad to see some people are getting some use out of it, and thanks for the encouragement everyone. I'll try to make the next release extra special.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After some checking in my router settings,I realized I still had some ports forwarded and set up to do odd things from previous tests on other apps, and I reset all that, and it worked like a charm.

Trying it again just now, it connects and displays the streams info (station name and such), and it never did that before. I also noted that it isnt playing clearly at all. lots of skips.

i just can't wait to connect to any stream you want. I'm imaginging being able to stream my own station over to the DS. hehe

Edited by GrupstraNDS

i just can't wait to connect to any stream you want. I'm imaginging being able to stream my own station over to the DS. hehe

I'm still having conceptual difficulty in thinking of how I want the interface for that to work. For the time being, I could post a howto on how to recompile the code with an arbitrary station. :| Would that work? (I wouldn't be able to do that until tomorrow though. I'm not at home right now)

Right now, I am thinking about just making a script to load a playlist into the app at compile time, much like I've seen some programs do... (can't think of any names at the moment), which is a pain the butt, but it works. As I only have a GBA flash cart, I can't really test with CF or SD cards, although using their filesystems would be the way I would like to do it for those systems. But I also don't want to break compatibility with WMB or flash carts. Which... leaves it up to the user to type in the URL. Which I am also not keen on.

So I've mainly just been thinking about how to parse a playlist, and how to handle redirects in the meantime.

Ah, ok. Well, disreguard my PM I sent you. :|

I just figured manually entering the streams URl was fine.

However, in the future, the ability to save a playlist from winamp to a Cf card and load it via the app would be sweet.

Also, how hard would it be to pull the station list form shoutcasts servers? I know several apps and sites that can do this already. It just looks up the same address that winamp does to load the stations into the viewer in winamps little media window.

Not sure if this would be hard or not. But I imagine it could be done.

edit: also, the howto to recompile with a customized station would work fine as a temp. solution for now, I'd say. ;)

Edited by GrupstraNDS

Also, how hard would it be to pull the station list form shoutcasts servers? I know several apps and sites that can do this already. It just looks up the same address that winamp does to load the stations into the viewer in winamps little media window.

Yeah, that would be ideal.

Be able to pull down the list of servers from SHOUTcast, and list them on the bottom screen with the important information (max listeners, bitrate, etc). Then just be able to touch one to start listening.

sorry, didn't get the howto done, but I'll do that soon.

Regarding the shoutcast station list... I've never actually used that before. My usual procedure is to go to icecast.org, and find a station I like there. I booted into Windows so I could see how it worked in Winamp, but I couldn't find it. Can someone tell me where I can find it, so that I can see how hard it would be? (And I think I'll likely have to do some reverse engineering, so I need an app that works with it to start with?

Also, if you REALLY want to be helpful... You could give me a list of applications that support the shoutcast directory. :| (If it's open source and works on Linux, then that would be perfect).

And sorry for asking, sgstair, but is there any chance you could give me a rough timeframe on the next wifi library release? It doesn't matter if you are way off again, I would just like something to look forward to. And a rough estimate on how much time I have to make some improvements. ;) (I would like my app to be significantly better by the time the next library release comes around).

And a question for the community... Playlist/Shoutcast directory support is the most wanted feature right now? (Aside from sgstair fixing the connection problems)?

EDIT: Daeval, thank you. That's about the nicest thing you could have possibly said about my project.

Edited by Grey

As far as getting the shoutcast directory listing up in winamp in windows, just fire up winamp (I'm running version 5.21, but its mostly the same either way), and hit alt+l to bring up the media library. The new winamp has a list of things on the left of the window that opens, and you'll want to select 'online services' and then shoutcast radio. This displays the top whatever stations (the number is configurable in the winamp options somewhere. it can be any number to all of them to be listed). '

The slightly odler winamp versions (earlier 5.xx ones) list shoutcast radio differently, but tis still in the media area like I said before, it shouldn't be ahrd to find.

As for linux stuff that uses the directory and such, I can't think of anyhthing off the top of my head, I don't think xmms does th same media listing that winamp does, but it does play them the same. I'll look into more stuff like that.

Hope thats somewhat helpful. This is something that'd defiantly be sweet to see.

Great work, and can't wait for the next release! Keep it up.

And a question for the community... Playlist/Shoutcast directory support is the most wanted feature right now?  (Aside from sgstair fixing the connection problems)?

Yeah, followed closely by "higher volume" :P.. I think it has something to do with the soundchannels.. its only using 2 as for now, right?