v0.3 Wifi Lib Connection Troubleshooting Guide

sgstair

*update*

I replaced my Sitecom router with one from Belkin (for various reasons) and now programs using the wifi-lib work fine here too.

it remains a little odd though that some routers do not work with homebrew where others do....

Has anybody figured out what's wrong with the library when connecting to certain routers?

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,there is a problem here.

I use Nintendo wifi usb connector, can run official wifi games with no probelm.

but when I want to use wifi_lib_test 0.3 to connect the connector by "use nintendo WFC data",it prompt

"cannot connect to Access Point",search for an AP cannot find the ssid of the AP, (I have configured SSID )

what can I do ?

plz tell me,thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm having trouble connecting through my router using manual settings or WFC settings. Here are the results of a few different wifi_lib_tests.

Version 0.3 Build Date: Apr 24 2006 14:55:12

Does not see my SSID, just neighbor "IBob"

When connecting to AP using WFC settings, hangs at ASSOCSTATUS_SEARCHING

Version 0.3a Built Date: Jan 10 2007 23:11:18

Sees my SSID, and 3 of my neighbors', including "IBob".

When connecting to AP using WFC settings, hangs at ASSOCSTATUS_AUTHENTICATING; eventually says "Cannot connect to Access Point"

Router: The router is a Linksys WRT-54G.

DS Lite: Original v5 firmware (I have not re-flashed it). Ran tests using R4 (v1.07). I can connect fine using any of my WFC cartridges or backups.

Any suggestions that don't involve re-flashing my firmware? (When I develop a Wifi game, I'd rather not ask people to potentially brick their DS)

Thanks!

Edited by Plat

• 1 month later...

Try forcing your router to 802.11b mode, it worked with my Action Tec MI424-WR. Using wifi lib test in war driving mode it saw my access point but showed 0% signal strength.

Good luck.

I'm having trouble connecting through my router using manual settings or WFC settings. Here are the results of a few different wifi_lib_tests.

When connecting to AP using WFC settings, hangs at ASSOCSTATUS_AUTHENTICATING; eventually says "Cannot connect to Access Point"

Router: The router is a Linksys WRT-54G.

DS Lite: Original v5 firmware (I have not re-flashed it). Ran tests using R4 (v1.07). I can connect fine using any of my WFC cartridges or backups.

Any suggestions that don't involve re-flashing my firmware? (When I develop a Wifi game, I'd rather not ask people to potentially brick their DS)

Thanks!

• 3 months later...
Problem:

Hangs at ASSOCSTATUS_ACQUIRINGDHCP

Probable Causes:

* your router is denying the lib's DHCP request; I've seen this on a few routers and am looking into it.

* You have the wrong WEP key or mode configured.

I was able to fix this by manually adding my client manually to the DHCP settings in my router, instead of setting it to auto.

I found and fixed a bug in the DHCP messages in dswifi (at least present in dswifi 0.3.2 and most likely in earlier versions). I did this by running a packet sniffer on my laptop to see the DHCP packets between my ds and my router.

The client address field was not being padded/initialized with zero bytes before filling in the nintendo ds mac address. If the router looks at the entire field (all 16 bytes, i.e. the mac address and the next ten bytes too), then two subsequent DHCP messages would look like they come from different clients - my guess is that the router would reject/ignore them.

The dswifi developers have already committed my patch to cvs so this will be fixed in dswifi 0.3.3 when it comes out! :) So we just wait for dswifi 0.3.3 now ..

Try forcing your router to 802.11b mode, it worked with my Action Tec MI424-WR. Using wifi lib test in war driving mode it saw my access point but showed 0% signal strength.

Try using a more recent dswifi version! 0.3d came out a while back and 0.3.2 is now out too (0.3.2 is part of devkitpro so if you just use the regular devkitpro updater you should already have 0.3.2). I fixed a bug in 0.3.2 (so if 0.3.2 doesn't work with your router either, then wait for 0.3.3 to come out!). Email me privately if you would like me to mail you a test build of 0.3.3 :)

• 2 months later...

Hi, new here, hope I'm doing the right thing posting this here instead of in a new topic..

This is my problem:

Connected OK but can't send/receive data!

I have a DS Lite (bought in Japan, but I don't think that matters?), a Thompson SpeedTouch 716 router, an R4 v1.10 and wifi_lib_test 0.3.3. I can connect to the AP, but nothing is sent/received. Non-homebrew WiFi works like a charm. I'm using 128 bit WEP, shared key and DHCP, but I've tried static IP and no WEP as well without success.

I would really appreciate some help interpreting the test program results.

I'm at work at the moment, so I'll try to describe my results from memory and I'll update this post tonight.

* UDP Test

-

* DNS Test

- DNS seems to work

* TCP Connect Test

- I'm not sure what's supposed to happen :)

I can connect to the AP at work and use the web browser in DSOrganizer 3.05, so I assume this is working.

If I try TCP Connect at work, I get:

Resolving host...

port 80

T : <hex a> <hexb> 0800

R : <hex b> <hexa> 0800

Not sure what 0800/0806 means, but I assume this is me, <hex a> connecting to <hex b> and getting a positive response?

* TCP Listen Test

- Not sure how this is supposed to work, does it just open a listen socket and it's up to me to try to connect? I'll try this when I come home tonight.

Any other suggestions on what I could try? Anything I've forgotten to mention? Please help! :thumbsup1: