The Nintendo Revolution is now called...

So you want to play the same game over and over, only with better graphics each time?

And that's why I'll never buy a sony game system ^^

Btw, the new name reminded me of this:

Whee!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I would like to see nintendo do what sega did and just make games for other consoles (except their handhelds).

The last nintendo console I had was the N64, and even back then, their poor choice in hardware cost them the console race.  Nintendo needs to stop trying to innovate everything and just concentrate on making great games, which they are excellent at.

You make it sound like Sega stopped doing hardware and focus only on software like it was their choice. They failed as a hardware company so their only saving grace was the software business. Unlike Sega, Nintendo is incredibly profitable with these so called "failed consoles." They have never been in the red when it comes to hardware, home console or handheld, and software. I don't know where people get the idea that Nintendo is on its last legs or something. Why should they give up their hardware division when it makes them a ton of money?

And why do people not want someone to try to innovate? Do you really want a third console that will play the same bunch of games that PS3 and XBOX360 will?

Nintendo needs to stop trying to innovate everything and just concentrate on making great games, which they are excellent at.

Good, change frightens me.  I don't want crazy new-fangled controllers and touch screens, I just want more speed, better graphics, and less loading time.

Sir, I could not possibly disagree with you more.

"Less loading time"

haha.

The gaming industry has literally been on a standstill content-wise for a very long time, while still trying to desperately go frowards. Nintendo is the only one that tried (and still tries) to provide something very different in terms of the whole experience.

Granted, Sony and Microsoft are trying, Sony especially with Blu-Ray (no matter what some people say) the PS3 is region free shebang and XBOX Live. Still, neither of the two have gone to such lengths as Nintendo.

Initially everybody laughed when nintendo announced that they were going to make a console that's cube-shaped and use non-standard discs + a controller with a strange design. No one laughs now, and most gamers truly like the GameCube. How can anyone in their right mind say that Nintendo will fail and compare them to Sega no less?

Initially everybody laughed when nintendo announced that they were going to make a console that's cube-shaped and use non-standard discs + a controller with a strange design. No one laughs now, and most gamers truly like the GameCube. How can anyone in their right mind say that Nintendo will fail and compare them to Sega no less?

I really don't recall anyone laughing at the it being a cube or even the non-standard discs. Some people worried about the space limitations of the discs, but that's about it. As far as the controller goes, I still laugh. The GC controller is the worst of the current generation and the least funtional.

Anyway, Nintendo are definitely good at running their business. They are masters of recycling games and mascots and bleeding their loyal fanbase dry without actually appearing to be doing so. Throw in a few decently original games in the mix and people call them geniuses... it's really quite amazing.

As far as this name goes... it's an absolutely horrid choice. Anyone with half a brain can see that. But their loyal fanbase will staunchly defend it as another stroke of genius and eventually people will get used to it anyway.

[edit] Well, I do remember people cracking jokes about the handle on the Cube and how it looked like a lunch box as a result... but not so much about the cube shape itself. What I also recall is their fanbase talking about how amazing the cube design was (it's a box!) and how it was so small compared to the other systems... totally ignoring the fact that it was the tallest of the systems and since it had a top loading disc tray the system actually needs a bigger shelf in an entertainment center than the other systems... but that's my point, their fanbase has always been blindly loyal and Nintendo bleeds them dry at will.

Edited by Thraxen

"Less loading time"

haha.

The gaming industry has literally been on a standstill content-wise for a very long time, while still trying to desperately go frowards. Nintendo is the only one that tried (and still tries) to provide something very different in terms of the whole experience.

Granted, Sony and Microsoft are trying, Sony especially with Blu-Ray (no matter what some people say) the PS3 is region free shebang and XBOX Live. Still, neither of the two have gone to such lengths as Nintendo.

No offence to anyone, and I may well be proven wrong with this Wii thing but here goes...

Nintendo doesn't operate in the red atm. However, that doesn't mean it is selling well. Im not going to make a case for 360 adoption in Japan or anything but overall Nintendo consoles are taking less and less of the market share, arent they? The NES dominated. The SNES was pretty good. The N64 trailed behind and the Gamecube trailed behind badly, depending on how you look at it. As I said, not badly enough to go out of business but badly enough to make it obvious that if the trend continues through this coming generation and maybe even the one after, Nintendo making consoles will cease to be viable. While the DS currently is outperforming the PSP, Im willing to bet that if a good string of games comes out on Sony's system, it will take off and leave the DS behind, because, as Ive also said before, the DS is essentially a gimmick, and the PSP is a conventional, well-made system that suffers heavily from a crippling lack of good games.

Thats all conjecture, though. I was wondering if the all out super-expensive route Sony, and to a lesser extent Microsoft, are taking with their new consoles might turn out to be counter productive. People might find that a cheaper alternative with a differnt gimmick attached and a library of proven titles might sway their 'casual' gaming habits and their wallets to the Revolution. So maybe Nintendo's luck was about to change, and their console would really compete with the other two by going in a clever new approach.

WRONG!

What the hell is 'Wii' ?? It is not only a bad name, its a name SO bad it alone could turn customers off the product. Also I agree with what this analyst said "Nintendo let the code name gain a little too much currency: people were used to it, and it was widely accepted as the console's name" (Gamespot). I didnt ever think of the GameCube as 'Dolphin' really, but this is the Revolution, and to replace such a cool sounding with this non-English phonetic crap, that not only sounds gay, but has negative connotations in our language by the bucket-load.

Anyway I am willing to concede that this could go either way, and that Nintendo may have done things that people consider innovative or new (although I still disagree with this notion whole-heartedly). However its undeniable that as it stands this looks like a bad marketing choice, and if you line it up with Nintendo's previous console efforts, its not hard to see the direction they are heading in. And, hopefully, in a decade or so, not even their first party software or their adventurous handheld efforts will be able to keep the sinking Nintendo brand afloat.

Plus we all know Nintendo's got a hell of a lot more money hidden away just in case something like that happens.

the PSP is... well-made system

LMAO. You're out of your fucking fan-boy mind.

Look at the damned thing and you can tell. Or maybe you cant. Is there a fault with it? I cant pick one apart from the possible lack of a HDD but hell the DS doesnt have one. Nor do any of the GameBoys.

Not even pulling specs, functions, hell emulators, or the big-deal-lack-of-a-touch-screen into this, look at them both and which one feels like something decent, and which like a child's play thing? That is senseless Nintendo bashing, sure, but its all true.

Who wouldve thought you cant escape pure elitist PC bs even when talking about games.

I'll take a fun gimmicky device over a boring conventional device anyday. But let's leave that for another time. When it comes to games, I just care about fun.

I'm actually quite surprised by some of the staunch Nintendo fans I know because they're just as shocked with the name as any of us. I mean at best it's reluctant approval. The idea behind the name is good, the reasoning is good, but the actual name just sucks. Couldn't they have come up with another better name that incorporated the ii thing.

At the end of the day the name doesn't matter to me. Sure it's goofy but I'm not about to let a stupid name like Wii or XBOX (I hate Xs in product names because of that XTREME crowd it tries to cater too) get in the way of me having fun.

God...Wii...what a bad name. :)