The Nintendo Revolution is now called...

Double post but who cares.

I think Tycho from Penny Arcade said it perfectly here: http://www.penny-arcade.com/

I'll paste it here anyway.

You really must be joking. What names were rejected, that something like Wii remained vertical at the end of it?

The range of responses thus far have not been terribly surprising.  It's the usual camps, really, and I don't know if these positions exist throughout all of human dialogue or if they are local to our merry band, but they are known to me.  People who hate it because they hate X, people who hate it because it is not good, people who like it because other people hate it, people who like it because they are "above the fray," and people who like it because they like X.  The first million times I saw this scene play out I could always find some piquant flavor in the proceedings, something that made each conflict unique.  Now all I see is a kind of template superimposed over every motive, as though the argument were taking place between cells on a spreadsheet.

I'm uncomfortable with it because I think a word of alien origin like "Wii" is phonetically ambiguous for most people, but I doubt that I represent some genuine constituency.  Nintendo clearly felt  the name was so cryptic it required a Rosetta Stone alongside to contextualize it, which doesn't really speak to its deep strength or intuitive character.  I believe, almost fervently, in their vision for the product - but I don't see any reason to do their public relations work for them.  Enunciating each syllable clearly, I would call this moniker a profound error in judgement.

I'm aware that some people like it, or in any event they don't hate it.  I am not those people, but I think that I can live in peace with them as long as they do not try and honestly suggest that the Goddamn name is emblematic of togetherness.  What makes me mad isn't that Nintendo has chosen a name based on bizarre, interstellar philosophy.  It's that they chose a name that was and is so readily used to obscure and discredit the imaginative power of the system.

Up until now, they've done an almost miraculous job maintaining enthusiasm for what is really a very unorthodox idea.  To be honest, I sort of thought this would be the easy part. 

(CW)TB out.

it's better this way

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the PSP is... well-made system

LMAO. You're out of your fucking fan-boy mind.

Look at the damned thing and you can tell. Or maybe you cant. Is there a fault with it? I cant pick one apart from the possible lack of a HDD but hell the DS doesnt have one. Nor do any of the GameBoys.

Not even pulling specs, functions, hell emulators, or the big-deal-lack-of-a-touch-screen into this, look at them both and which one feels like something decent, and which like a child's play thing? That is senseless Nintendo bashing, sure, but its all true.

Who wouldve thought you cant escape pure elitist PC bs even when talking about games.

I think our ideas of well-made are different. I meant that you could drop a DS out of a fourth floor window onto pavement and it would still work. The psp... well... I don't think the same could be said for it.

I think our ideas of well-made are different.  I meant that you could drop a DS out of a fourth floor window onto pavement and it would still work. The psp... well... I don't think the same could be said for it.

But that's just poor reasoning. Would you expect a laptop to survive a 4 floor drop? What if you bought a $500 USD iRiver PMC-120 portable media player? Would you expect it to survive a 4 floor drop? The PSP is far, far, far, far, far from alone in being the only portable electronic device that might not take a large fall too well. The higher the technology the more fragile it is likely to be... and don't kid yourself, the PSP is much more powerful than the DS. Just look at cross platform games like Burnout. The PSP stomps the DS doing the graphics in those games justice. That's not a knock against the DS, the DS has lots of great games that play to it's strengths (i.e. touch screen).

Forgetting the lack of good games, there really isn't much wrong with the PSP from a hardware standpoint. It's battery life could be better, but that's about it. Beyond that you starting getting into personal preference.

Edited by Thraxen

It's not really poor reasoning to expect that the console I buy be durable.

I'm not commenting on anything else except that. I give that psp is a superior system specs-wise, horribly inferior games-wise (so far), and superior in it's physical appearance.

I think some retard in the marketing department was handed this assignment, one who is paid WAY too much money for their lack of brains.

Simply decided, based on Nintendo's "Wifi" kick since the DS, to drop the "f" in "Wifi" and came up with "Wii"

How in the hell do you market to people who aren't gamers (Nintendo's goal) with such a stupid @$$ name!?

I'll buy one, but Nintendo's marketing department has once again drilled a hole in Nintendo's boat with this name. They're sunk.

I don't like it.  Imagine talking about it.  "I have a Wii" 

Let the jokes start after that...

By reading that last article I feel Nintendo knows people would be upset yet they didn't care.  So screw them.

At least its not called pipi <_<

It's not really poor reasoning to expect that the console I buy be durable.

I'm not commenting on anything else except that.  I give that psp is a superior system specs-wise, horribly inferior games-wise (so far), and superior in it's physical appearance.

Uhhh, those people said there are no good games on PSP.

But i have been enjoying Syphon Filter, SFA3 Max, Samurai Warriors, Megaman Powered Up, WWE Smackdown, Taiko Drum and we will have the upcoming Tekken to play with. More than enough for me to enjoy.

Going back to the Wii debate, in actual I do not mind the name. Fact is, a lot of people here do not know what it stands for anyway. I am still taking a "wait and see" approach to see what Nintendo dish out.

Uhhh, those people said there are no good games on PSP.

But i have been enjoying Syphon Filter, SFA3 Max, Samurai Warriors, Megaman Powered Up, WWE Smackdown, Taiko Drum and we will have the upcoming Tekken to play with. More than enough for me to enjoy.

See, when you said that, everything you said about the PSP having no good games, applies to masses.