The Nintendo Revolution is now called...

Because of the name? Sure it's goofy but to write off a whole product just because of that is just as stupid. Oh no! You won't seem as manly in front of your friends because you have a Wii!! Give me a break.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey I already have a Wii and I keep it in my pants... and I usually try not to play with it.

Nah, what I'm upset is that Nintendo knew people were going to hate the name and they didn't care. They don't care what we think because they know it's going to sell anyways. And I don't want a product from a company that thinks that way, even if it's awesome.

I actually find it impressive when a company decides to go in a new direction and not worry about the criticism they'll get and stay on their own path.

But I do admit that this name will have a hard time catching on, if it ever does. People will either just call it the Nintendo like in the old days. "I'm going to play some Nintendo." "TURN OFF THE NINTENDO AND GO TO SLEEP BEFORE I SMASH IT PIECES!!"

Nintendo:"We named our new console 'Nintendo Wii'"

Microsoft:"Good. You can have Kirby back now."

Nintendo:"Kirby! thank the triforce that you are okay!"

Microsoft:"Now, if you want to have Donkey Kong back, put spikes on the controller..."

They've gone from crazy to just plain stupid.

Yeah, I just picture the board meeting where this was decided. What was going through their heads!!

haha

Nintendo Wii

What were those Nontendo execs smoking?

[/zboard]

Leave it to good old Nintendo to come up with totally strange when it comes to naming conventions.

Nah, what I'm upset is that Nintendo knew people were going to hate the name and they didn't care.  They don't care what we think because they know it's going to sell anyways.  And I don't want a product from a company that thinks that way, even if it's awesome.

The people who are going to be predisposed to hating it, the ones that will constantly make the "wii" jokes, are the same crowd Nintendo are trying to break away from. I think that's a brave, and not altogether disrespectable move.

But I do admit that this name will have a hard time catching on, if it ever does. People will either just call it the Nintendo like in the old days. "I'm going to play some Nintendo." "TURN OFF THE NINTENDO AND GO TO SLEEP BEFORE I SMASH IT PIECES!!"

That may not entirely be a bad thing for them. I find that the term "nintendo," as refers to the original NES, is nostalgic enough that it's not considered "nerdy" to a wider cross-section of people that were growing up during the 80s. It's iconic of a more innocent childhood memory than, say "GameCube" or "Playstation," which connotate a more sinister, mature nerd-dom. It's those same generations that are now just starting to leave the target age group for mainstream games.

Case in point, this is the "Nintendo" of the next gen!

Ah, think of it when inky will be like to his kids "TURN OFF THE GOD DAMN NINTENDO AND GO TO BED >:OOOOOOOOOOORAAAAAAAAAAAA!"

Funny though... Ah my jokes crack me up.