The Nintendo Revolution is now called...

Nintendo Wii. As in "We".

http://revolution.nintendo.com/

While the code-name "Revolution" expressed our direction, Wii represents the answer. Wii will break down that wall that seperates video players from everybody else. Wii will put people more in touch with their games.. and each other. But you're probably asking: What does the name mean?

Wii sounds like "we," which emphasizes this console is for everyone. Wii can easily be remembered by people around the world, no matter what language they speak. No confusion. No need to abbreviate. Just Wii.

Wii has a distinctive "ii" spelling that symbolizes both the unique controllers and the image of people gathering to play. And Wii, as a name and a console, brings something revolutionary to the world of video games that sets it apart from the crow. So that's Wii. But now Nintendo needs you. Because, it's not really about you or me. It's about Wii. And together, Wii will change everything.

My god what a crappy name. I'm just going to keep calling it Revolution.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they were trying to name it for everybody or people getting together but i mean damn what the hell, revolution can also mean that in a way lol,

If it is to be called wii then change it to We.

Names from Nintendo rev. that didnt make it

Nintendo us (as in people)

Nintendo People

Nintendo likey likey (can be interpreted in another way)

Nintendo Phantom

Nintendo 720

Nintendo 5

Nintedo superscope 2

Nintendo ho (as in the garden tool as it cultivates games) lol

Nintendo &*676ds89*&& (Cancelled cause american audiences would have been confused and the penquins in alaska would consider this genocide)

Prediction, fanboys and the like will fight this down it would eiher be changed back or it will stay like the ps3 grill design

Edited by Aoshi

They won't change the name no matter how many petitions they'll get. All this naming is calculated corporate stuff and they probably have all the war wheels in motion which no petitions could really stop. But to step back a bit and look at it again I can understand the name and why they chose it (but I still think it's a goofy name).

Chris Morris of CNNMoney talked to Perrin Kaplan just now and asked about the name and what they think about the reaction and they said that they are prepared for all of this.

http://money.cnn.com/2006/04/27/commentary...tendo/index.htm

I like the idea, with the "ii" representing the controllers and people and stuff, but in practice it's pretty retarted.

EDIT:

Ok, having seen the little logo graphic on that last link from Gryph, I'm sort of willing to accept it more. It doesn't look as stupid in that print as it does in the forum's font, etc. AndI can understand it in terms of getting away from the "gamer" mentality, it's not entirely meant for "us." Saying it out loud still pains me though.

Edited by Daeval

I don't like it. Imagine talking about it. "I have a Wii"

Let the jokes start after that...

By reading that last article I feel Nintendo knows people would be upset yet they didn't care. So screw them.

Edited by Tynvar