What codec is this?

Daeval

Ok, this is kind of a stupid situation. This video was a class project a couple quarters ago. Since putting it together, I've reformatted and reinstalled Windows. Now it won't play in WMP (or anything else) on my system. I get "error downloading codec."

Blue Ninja

It was made with Flash and exported as an avi. I don't think I re-encoded it or anything after that. It ran in WMP and Winamp on the computers at school, which don't have any really funky video software installed.

Can anyone view this, and if so, can you figure out what codec its using or why I might not be able to see it?

Thanks!

(For the curious, the project was a 1 minute, 1 "pixel" movie, using only a single color on the screen at any time)

The codec is 3ivx - http://www.free-codecs.com/download/3ivx.htm

I used kc software's Videoinspector to find out. It's a really good program, I think it's even better than gspot, because it shows you if you have the codec installed, and if you don't, it gives you a link where to download it.

http://www.kcsoftwares.com/

Cool, thanks everybody, but no luck yet. :\

I tried 3ivx, but that didn't seem to do it. I still get "error downloading codec" and no video. This is so strange, as I've sent it to a bunch of people who could play it fine, and now it suddenly won't work. I'll try G-Spot.

Try ffdshow. There's an optimized SSE build out there. And it does 3ivx.

I use ffdshow, but it seems that my media players (BSPlayer and Zoom Player) don't like 3IVX too much.

I had no trouble playing it in WMP.

There was a small sqaure that changed colours.

There was an audio track of horses galloping, some banging noises, followed by what sounded like a sword fight.

I don't know how to find out what codec what used??

I had no trouble playing it in WMP.

There was a small sqaure that changed colours.

There was an audio track of horses galloping, some banging noises, followed by what sounded like a sword fight.

I don't know how to find out what codec what used??

Ok, now at least I know the file isn't completely borked, because it sounds like you saw what you were supposed to (believe it or not). Thanks. The search continues...

For those of you who can see it, if you're interested:

It's supposed to be viewed full-screen, with the volume cranked up (there are a lot of really quiet noises, especially around the middle). The audio is stolen from a few different tracks on the Tenchu: Stealth Assassins soundtrack. It's not in the game, so far as I know, but it's on the OST.

UPDATE:

I uninstalled haali media splitter (which had been installed as part of the Matroska pack) and uninstalled the Matroska pack and the video ran fine. I then reinstalled the Matroska pack without haali media splitter and it still runs fine. Dunno what that program was doing, but at least it's fixed.

Edited by Daeval