D20 RPG's

Daeval

I want to play in a more realistic setting, something like an action adventure movie or a murder mystery. If I were to compare it to a video game(s) it would be like, Rise to honor, Virtua Fighter, Manhunt, Shenmue, Tekken (without the animals, robots and monsters) Max Payne, etc...

I think you see what I am getting at here.

Do you think by doing this it would simplifly many things?

D20 for modern stuff is weird - A gunshot wound to the face is like D12 damage or something when you have 150 hit points. For modern fights, I prefer a system where one really good punch can effectively take someone out of a fight.

You could probably get really fancy and change a lot of stuff and make it work for modern, but be prepared for a lot of work. If you have the D20 Modern books, that might help. I haven't read through those though.

Mutants and Masterminds (I hate to keep bringing this up) version of D20 uses what they call a "toughness check," where you have a really low number of hit points, but you make a check every time you get hit and take different levels of damage based on the result. "Bruised" results make future toughness checks harder, and the other results are actual damage. That would better simulate the pacing of a modern firearm or martial arts fight, I would think. And you could probably just port that mechanic over to standard D20 if you wanted.

Also, for a modern setting with a martial-arts focus, the White-Wolf system (World of Darkness) would probably be great, you'd just have to strip out the vampire/mage/werewolf stuff. I don't know about the new version, but getting rid of that stuff was dead simple with the previous incarnation.

• 2 weeks later...

Just received some books in the mail, combined with all the pdf's I have on my PC, I would say I am in good hands. I just need to read and start playing. I should be playing with some good friends thsi sunday, odd thing is I just found out a little over a week ago that they play. They said they never told me about it because they thought I was not the type to be into things like that.

Modern D20 is such a disappointment for us, we've resorted to some classic AD&D suckas

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of D20 Modern stuff. I'm not the biggest fan of Shadowrun, either, but there are a lot of people out there who play.

Fatal, have you looked online to find groups in your area? Starting off with people you know is always good, but my group of really close friends all came together about 5 years ago from forum posts and little sticky-notes in game-shops advertising a campaign. Playing with familiar faces can be a lot of fun, but it should also be easy to find a group in your area playing just about any setting you want to try. It's also a bit more exciting when you start off not knowing everyone else so well that you can expect their every action.

• 1 month later...