Can my laptop run ePSXe?

arjay

i ran the emu on my desktop pretty easily, but id like to play it on my laptop.

my laptop is essentially stronger than my desktop pc, except im a bit worried about my graphics card not being able to handle the ps graphics.

under my device manager, it displays

Mobile Intel® 915GM/GMS, 910GML Express Chipset Family

twice for my display adapters.

so, can i run ePSXe smoothly?

also, my laptop is a pentium M 1.7 ghz 512MB ram...if theres anything else you need to know about my machine let me know.

thanks for any input

i ran the emu on my desktop pretty easily, but id like to play it on my laptop.

my laptop is essentially stronger than my desktop pc, except im a bit worried about my graphics card not being able to handle the ps graphics.

under my device manager, it displays

Mobile Intel® 915GM/GMS, 910GML Express Chipset Family

twice for my display adapters.

so, can i run ePSXe smoothly?

also, my laptop is a pentium M 1.7 ghz 512MB ram...if theres anything else you need to know about my machine let me know.

thanks for any input

From my experience with my laptop (933 mhz, pentium 3, 256MB ram, ati 8MB video ram) I can run some games quite well, others not so well. Considering yours is a BIT better then mine, you should be able play things as long as you don't boost up the settings..

sweet...i want to play suikoden first and foremost. how does that run on your computer?

edit: i forgot to ask....what plugins do you use?

I use Petes plugins, depending on which system yours supports, use OpenGL or DirectX...

DirectX works best on my system, and I think it's the same for you, at least my friends laptop, which is similar, had less problems with DirectX...

You might give the software based one a shot too...

Plugins

::edit:: I didnt play suikoden on the laptop.... :D

Edited by sypherce

Your setup should run some games well enough. I'm more worried about the Inter Graphics Controller hindering performance, as Intel is known to make the worst integrated graphics chip on the market.

I'd say try to stay away from the OGL plugins, or at least use and OGL1 plugin, not OGL2. You probably be missing a number of special effects, since you can't emulated Framebuffer effects fast enough with a setup like that.

Still, Suikoden should work without problems, but if you try to run full 3D games, expect problems in some form or another.

yeah i knew that graphics card would run me into some trouble. ah well...suikoden is probably top on my priority list. i havent played suikoden II yet, but am i right in assuming that it'll run in a similar way on my machine?

one more question - you said my machine wouldnt handle full 3D games- does FF7 count? i know it uses 3D models on prerendered backgrounds...but i would assume i'd run into problems. what do you think?

thanks again for the input :)

To be quite honest, I'm sure how FFVII would work, but seeing as most (if not all) Squaresoft games use Framebuffers effects a lot so you'll have to hope that they'll work fine even without full FB emulation (you'll be missing swirls, motion blur and the likes).

well i got it to work, i tried out suikoden II and it seems like everything is in working order: graphics, sound etc. thanks for all the help.

some quick questions:

-im currently running.BIN files. suikoden II is just about 500 megs...i was wondering if there was a way to run games in a smaller, condensed format?

-i have my ipod on disk mode and i stored the BIN file in there. im assuming my ipod is just acting like an external hard drive, but i just want to make sure its safe to run the BIN files from my ipod. i am i doing anything wrong?

once again, THANK YOU!

Edited by arjay

well i got it to work, i tried out suikoden II and it seems like everything is in working order: graphics, sound etc. thanks for all the help.

some quick questions:

-im currently running.BIN files. suikoden II is just about 500 megs...i was wondering if there was a way to run games in a smaller, condensed format?

Only by compressing them in traditional ways. Saying that, after compressing you won't be able to use the images, unless you use an Image CDR plugin like Mooby's.