PSP vs DS - OYL

Wizard

1up artical, read it

Then discuss, mandetory snippet;

It's not as if the DS is faring much better. Yes, third parties are in love with the little odd-shaped-portable-that-could in Japan. But in the U.S., the DS is seen as more like the successor to the Game Boy. Far from the brief flirtation with adult games like Sprung, Western devs are looking at the DS and thinking, "kids." But then again, considering how big a business the cartoon-licenses-on-GBA racket is -- and that Nintendo sold nearly 5 million GBA units in the U.S. last year -- the DS is in an excellent position to take that market home in 2006.

Whether or not the imminent U.S. release of the "brain-training" games will capture the dads-and-grandmas market that Nintendo so deftly wooed in Japan is anyone's guess. For now, the Stateside PSP vs. DS fight is shaping up like the Super Nintendo versus Genesis battles of yore -- a tough fight to the finish. And just as long as Sony doesn't debut a 32X add-on, it's likely to stay that way.

------

IMHO;

This sums up pretty much everything I've been inclined to view recently. Very true in almost all fronts. But I still prefer my DS to a PSP, even thought my brother has one.

None of that is surprising. I would have expected a stronger western lead of the PSP though. Since release I've believed that, Japanese and hardcores aside, the PSP has no competition from the DS. Its a little unsettling for me to see that the margin is so thin. I put that down to the price at the moment being plain too expensive, and figure the PSP will take off as the price cuts come along.

I definately prefer the PSP. The DS cant stand up to all the multimedia capabilities, even if the quality of each game library is debatable.

i dunno if i really like either that much to tell you the truth, ive kinda lost interest in handheld gaming :/ there just arent that many games out that interest me anymore so ill go with whatever has better emulation :clapping:

BTW i still havent actually bought a PSP yet, but ive used them alot, my brother has a DS though

I am a graphic whore. The DS's capability in this department turn me off. And i have always imagined playing console quality gaming on handhelds. PSP is the only one that can deliver that......

IMO, what with the web browser for DS coming soon, the DS pwns all a$$. I love the touch screen and the microphone, and I love having 2 screens.

IMO, what with the web browser for DS coming soon, the DS pwns all a$$. I love the touch screen and the microphone, and I love having 2 screens.

Hoho, and DS also have voip!

That's about what I expected. Neither of them really has the library to woo me at the moment, which I would imagine is a popular sentiment, but I'm much more intruiged by the possibilities on the DS. A 3" movie screen doesn't impress me much, nor does an enormous mp3 player. But games like Trauma Center and Ace Wright, and even the simple and smooth stylus control for Advance Wars, pique my interest.

I have both and I guess I like my DS better. I've played it more recently. The PSP is more impressive, but seems to suffer from a lack of quality games. I also think Sony screwed up by not making a second analog stick on the right hand side.

The DS on the other hand has provided me with games like MK and Castlevania to play recently... both excellent titles. But I still think it has all the ergonomics of a brick, though not as heavy. It's just a freaking rectangle... it isn't all that comforable to hold and tends to be top heavy if you have the screen fully open. The PSP is a little better since it's actually rounded on th ends. I'm also a bit miffed about the DS Lite since I just got my MK edition DS a few months ago. But I guess I'm not really surprised since Nintendo pulls this this stunt with their portables a regular basis... redesigns their hardware that really isn't that old and gives it features that the first version should have included in the first place. Nintendo are the masters of bilking their user base without appearing greedy.