Sega Saturn emulator is too slow

I've been trying to get a Saturn emulator to play 'Radiant Silvergun' after I read in a magazine that Saturn emulation is of satisfactory standard to "play the game in all it's glory" (unlike the current MAME version). I've tried 'Cassini' and 'SSF' but both don't do justice to it. It runs as though in slow-motion. Not ideal when you're trying to find out what makes RS so revered.

My PC specs are good enough (I would have thought) but it still moves as though through treacle. (About 20fps)

My specs;

Pentium 4 3.2GHZ

1GB RAM

nVidia GeForce 6800 256MB

Which is the best Saturn emulator at the moment and are there any settings that can be used to speed it up?

Thanks.

Edited by hi_resurrection

Radiant Silvergun ain't all it's cracked up to be btw tho it is still pretty good imo. I don't remember if giri giri or cassini ran this too well either. I ended up just buying another Saturn off ebay to play this last year and was slightly disappointed. Tbh there's a few better Saturn shmups than this out there eg. Soukyugurentai, Battle Garrega and DoDonPachi.

SSF, and it supports ST-V now. There's no going around it, there's no better Saturn Emulator than SSF. The the arcade version doesn't work in SSF because of the protection, but it works in MAME... damn well too.

The console version works fabulously too (in SSF of course), and I don't know about you, but I think that SSF is surprisingly fast for an emulator that renders everything in software.

if you really want speed, the upcoming release of Satourne should be faster because it uses OpenGL.

Cassini is the fastest emulator. I'm not sure which front-end you're using, but depending on which one, you should enable frame skipping (if its not already selected). Your specs should be good enough to run it fine.

Edited by floopy

Cassini is the fastest emulator.  I'm not sure which front-end you're using, but depending on which one, you should enable frame skipping (if its not already selected).  Your specs should be good enough to run it fine.

What exactly is the compatibility rate of Cassini? All I know is that it has severe graphics errors with some games.

What exactly is the compatibility rate of Cassini? All I know is that it has severe graphics errors with some games.

Tested Cassini (giri-giri hack) with numerous games compared to latest versions of satourne/ssf, and cassini came out tops in almost every instance. That was bout a year ago now so satourne/ssf may have advanced somewhat. As for official compatibility I had a list which came distributed with Cassini but... no more :banghead:

• 3 months later...

I had the same problem playing Guardian Heroes with the SSF emulator. But then I created a CD image of the game with Alcohol 120% and unchecked the "use CD thread" option and the game runs at perfect speed. It's freaking amazing.

My only problem is that I haven't figured out how to play it in fullscreen. The emulator, apparently, were made by some Japanese programmer(s). There isn't a user manual in english. So I'm don't know where to go.

My only problem is that I haven't figured out how to play it in fullscreen. The emulator, apparently, were made by some Japanese programmer(s). There isn't a user manual in english. So I'm don't know where to go.

Press Alt+Enter. -_-

It's the most common "switch to full screen" key combination there is, after all.

Press Alt+Enter. :P

It's the most common "switch to full screen" key combination there is, after all.

Yea I already figured it out. Thanks.