VisualBoy Advance Save Problems

I signed up just to post here, and I don't want to lose the results of 3 hours of play, so forgive the necro

So I read every post here and I have a problem not really adressed. I saved my game on Pokémon silver, and just got a .sav file. I did all the steps persrcibed ( I moved the ROM, the save file and everything into one main folder on the desktop, made sure I could write to all of the folders.,... still no continue option in the main menu of the game. what I am doing wrong? do I need to change the flash amount like you need to for ruby emerald etc.?

Edited by Fuff

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What version of VBA are you using, and did you use vba-over.ini with the settings for Pokemon Silver in it? Note that if the savetype was wrong to begin with, you can't use your original save you used before in the hopes that it will work again. You have to start from scratch with the correct savetype.

EDIT: Just checked and Pokemon Silver is a GBC game. This thread deals with save issues in GBA games, and I'm not sure if the advice given here applies directly to GBC games. Still, what VBA version are you using?

IIRC, vba-over.ini is only applicable to GBA games, but I'm not sure. Personally, I've never been too fond of GBC emulation in VBA, opting instead to use the likes of KiGB or No$Gmb (or Gambatte, but it doesn't do Super Gameboy). Never once had a problem with those emulators.

IIRC, vba-over.ini is only applicable to GBA games, but I'm not sure. Personally, I've never been too fond of GBC emulation in VBA, opting instead to use the likes of KiGB or No$Gmb (or Gambatte, but it doesn't do Super Gameboy). Never once had a problem with those emulators.

So should I just give up trying to get back my save data and use one of those?

Well, you should at least try one of those and see if saving and loading native saves and save states works without a hitch. Of course, you should also try your old save and see if those emulator pick it up. Just remember to rename the save file to match your ROM.

• 6 months later...

Hi, I am an extreme Pokemon fan and play it a fair bit. I only just got it on my Mac and am using VisualBoy Advance. But I can't seem to save, especially on Sapphire, Emerald and leaf green (my favourites) when I click on the "start game" button in Sapphire a message comes up saying 'the internal battery has run dry. The game can be played. However, clock-based events will not occur' it still lets me play but as soon as I try to save, it either freezes and I have to forcequit VBA or crash my computer or it will continue to let me play and a message comes up saying something about battery and save states or something.

I took your advice about this: Options->Emulator->Save Type and choose "Flash 128K" but when I clicked on 'options' there was only the option of Freeze and Defrost. It's killing me that I am unable to play Pokemon so please help!

Cheers! ;-)

Google and download VBA-M, which is far better than the old builds of VisualBoyAdvance. After this, make sure that the folder VBA uses to to store savestes and battery saves isn't read-only.

• 2 weeks later...

Idk I have the same problem, but I have VBA 1.8.0 BETA 3.

So, I run the game and it works fine. After an hour I have to do something else, so I save the game in the "save game" option.

I load it later, but it takes me back to the copyright at the beginning. I start over sadly, and save my game actually in a document, and when I load it the same thing happens. It takes me back to the copyright and I have to start over.

Sorry if i'm bumping, I really need help.

• 4 months later...
Fix:

The simplist way to fix this problem is to increase the Flash Memory size in the emulator (Options->Emulator->Save Type and choose "Flash 128K").

So my VisualBoy Advance Options menu does not have an "emulator" option.... it only has "Freeze game state" "Defrost game state" "Add codebreaker advance cheats" "Add gameshark advance cheats" and "Configure keys"

if this helps I have the mac version (don't know if it would make a difference) and also the readme for my VBA does not have instructions for any of this.....

so please help?