VisualBoy Advance Save Problems

62 hours of playing.. .all for nothing :P

Edit:

Oh wait a minute..

It has been said that you can patch the game and the old quick-save (CTRL + FX) would work..

I know its also been said that sometimes it might cause errors.. but since I have no choice = I don't care

So how do I use the patch?

I need the game file which I already have and I need an IPS file. Where do I get that patch file?

THANKS AGAIN

Edited by NikeWK

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, an excerpt from the first post:

IPS Save Patches - A thing of the past.

Anyone that plays the GameBoy Advance Pokemon games should know about the countless save patches for these games. I have discovered a setting in VisualBoy Advance that will make these patches obsolete.

Fix:

The simplist way to fix this problem is to increase the Flash Memory size in the emulator (Options->Emulator->Save Type and choose "Flash 128K"). However (although not confirmed) this might cause problems in other games that use 64K memory. The other solution is to create a "vba-over.ini" file in the same directory as the emulator itself. With this file you can set "game specific" options that will only be used for the games you specify. Instructions for creating this file can be found in the readme file for VisualBoy Advance. I have provided the specific setting for each known effected game below:

So you're saying that the patch is just changing the save file size setting?

As for that part you have made bold:

I don't need game specific vba-over.ini.. because I play only one game.

P.S. Can you open your head and help me with reason instead of quoting other messages!?

I already read the entire thread.

Edited by NikeWK

The simplest answer is: If you only play a single game, and you never intend to play any other GBA game, then manually setting VBA's emulated savetype to Flash 128K (which supposedly is the correct savetype for FireRed) is the only thing you need to do.

The vba-over.ini file is for the majority of users who play lots of GBA games and don't want to face the risk of one day accidentally selecting a wrong savetype (or rather, always having to make sure that they set the proper savetype for problematic games) for a game they plan on playing, thus corrupting their save.

Using vba-over.ini and adding entries to it makes sure that each game uses the correct savetype automatically. If you use VBA only for one game, then obviously this doesn't concern you.

• 2 months later...

Hi guys, totally brand new to emulation, I saw someone in my class playing pokemon on their laptop and thought it'd be cool. Like I say I know nothing about this so sorry if this has been answered and I didn't realise.

Anyway so I'm trying to play Emerald on VisualBoy, had the same save problem mentioned in the first post. Since I'm only playing this one game, I decided to just change the save type to Flash 128K. But it's not working. I saved using Shift-F1, closed down the VisualBoy and when I loaded it back up there was no save slot there. I then tried again, saved using File-Save, and then tried to open the file from where I'd saved it, and it wouldn't let me. The save game file is an SGM file, the emulator says it's an unsupported file type, but I created it using the emulator so obviously not...

Any suggestions? I'm right at the start of the game, want to get this problem sorted before I start playing properly so it doesn't matter if it involves starting from scratch.

Also, thanks for the thread, I can see a lot of effort's gone into this.

Use the game's own save feature, not savestates. Savestates couldn't care less about what savetype the emulator is set to use, but at the same time, they shouldn't be used to completely substitute a regular in-game save.

• 3 months later...

im new to this site and this forum thing so i really hope im doing this correctly... if not, soemone help!

anyways, im playing Pokemon Emerald on my VBA and i dont know how to save it correctly... Im at this part (Elite Four) where once ive beaten the game it tries to save the game as if it was on the GBA. but since im not using the GBA, it doesnt work like that. i usualy have to go to File > Save. So when the game tries to save it brings me to the menu and where i have to load my saved game. but then it tells me that i dont have a saved game...

so i go to File > Load, and im at the part right before the Elite Four, and they arent beaten...

Is there a way i can save and load just like the game was on a GBA? just hit start and go to SAVE?

if this is far off subject and i posted this in the wrong place, then i have no idea what im doing..... :D

Is there a way i can save and load just like the game was on a GBA? just hit start and go to SAVE?

Yes. All games have an in-game save feature and the emulator supports this (after all the emulator emulates the hardware, and by proxy, the game as well). Do not use savestates (as in clicking File --> Save in the emulator) as your primary saving method. They can be easily corrupted and are unreliable as a result.

If you've read the first post in this thread, you should be aware of the steps needed to make "proper" saving work in Pokemon Emerald. After that, you also need to make sure that the folder VBA treats as a save folder is not marked as Read-Only (as you might guess, Read-Only denotes that the folder cannot be written to, hence no save files will ever be created in it, be it "proper" saves made in-game or savestates).