VisualBoy Advance Save Problems

@Monkey D. Luffy:

hmm....send me your save state and I might be able to try something to get you a working sav file from it.

Alright thanks a lot Haldrie!! Ive e-mailed it to this account: haldrie@aim.com

Once Again Thank you!

EDIT

Sorry bout that Haldrie! Ive attached it now.

Edited by Monkey D. Luffy

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually the vba-over.ini file is mentioned in VBA's readme file and has been part of the emulator for some time. The only reason people are having problems with the Pokemon games is because VBA isn't detecting the save type correctly and the vba-over.ini file is what has to be used to force VBA to use the correct save type for some games that won't work properly otherwise.

[EDIT]

@Monkey D. Luffy:

I got your email but it seems you forgot to attach you save state file to it.

Edited by Haldrie

Unfortunately no. I will admit I didn't really have much hope in the first place but I figured it was worth a shot. The only thing I can hope for now is that someone makes a program to help with this problem.

For now either continue to use your save state or start a new game with the vba-over.ini file setting. I know it's a pain to have to start all over again and I've had to do this as well but sometime you gotta do what you gotta do.

I've tried to provide as much help as I can in this topic and will continue to improve a bit on it (perhaps by reposting everything in a more linear format on my web site) so that someone can find it useful. However I have notice many people don't really take the time to actually read what I've posted and ask me questions that I've already answered. Now, I'm not upset by this and will still continue to help out everyone I can but just be sure to read everything in this topic first so I don't have to keep repeating myself.

Also, if anyone has any programming skills do you think you can help with this little problem these people are having with thier saves? I've managed to use a program that shows Pokemon they have by reading the save file and they have come way too far to have to start over (this does not include the person with the Red Rescue Team problem although I am still surprised at how far you got by using save states alone).

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

after managing to find a rom download for DBZ Taiketsu, the hardware message came up.

so after searching for a possible solution I stumbled upon this forum.

so i tried switching to VBA version 1.6, but still didn't work properly.

and.. lol dunno how to work those save type w/e things.

thanks to whoever can enlighten me. :D

Hello again everyone, as Agozer said and as noted several times in the first post it helps if you read everthing in every post as I made all kinds of changes here and there and added little notes to avoid having to competely rewrite the first post. Plans to reorganize all of the information here into a simple web page for everyone to be able to understand are being worked on but it may be some time before I get it up and ready for everyone to view.

@Lord Peatchu:

The vba-over.ini file is just a simple text file created with Notepad with a .ini file extention. These files were used with Windows 3.1 and have become popular in the emulation community as they are easy to create and modify. As posted near the end of the first post the legend for everything that is in the code box above it is:

[????]=The four character "Game Code". This can be found by choosing "Rom Information" from the file menu of VisualBoy Advance. This code must match the game you will use it for or the setting will not work. Make sure that the codes above match the rom you are using if these setting do not seem to work.

rtcEnabled=Real Time Clock <0 for false, anything else for true>

flashSize=Flash Memory Size <65536 (64K) or 131072 (128K)>

saveType=Save Type <0 for automatic, 1 for EEPROM, 2 for SRAM, 3 for Flash or 4 for EEPROM+Sensor>

@Jon763248:

Changing to 1.6 is one of the many changes that I made by making the second post which is dedicated to the DBZ games. Using the vba-over.ini file like with the Pokemon games now fixes the save problems. You can copy and paste the test in the code box in my second post into notepad and save it as "vba-over.ini". Note that you must include the quotes or notepad will still add .txt at the end of the file and VBA will not read it.

The text in the code boxes in for the U versions of the games listed in them so if you have the same game but for a different region they you will have to change the game code with the one that matches the rom you have. VBA only reads the game code not the game name. The game name is only added for reference when editing the .ini file.

Edited by Haldrie

Haldrie just explained what vba-over.ini is in his last post.

The vba-over.ini file is just a simple text file created with Notepad with a .ini file extension. These files were used with Windows 3.1 and have become popular in the emulation community as they are easy to create and modify. As posted near the end of the first post the legend for everything that is in the code box above it is:

He also posted what you should type into your vba-over.ini file to *possibly* get Emerald working in his second post on the first page.

Pokemon Emerald (U)

[bPEE]

rtcEnabled=1

flashSize=131072