Official + Legal PS1 Emulation on the PSP!

Mooney

I think you're probably right about the first part - they're probably not going to let people rip their own games.  They may let people play their own PS1 games games though, with the right infrastructure.

I still don't think what you're thinking will happen. I think what we will see is a selection of PS1 games that Sony has modified slightly to adapt to the PSPs controls. These games, as Sony stated, will be made available to download for some sort of fee.

Your idea about a specially designed PC program that watermarks rips for play on the PSP sounds nice, but I doubt Sony will do it for a couple of reasons. One, someone will figure out a way to allow the program to rip and watermark burned copies of games, and Sony won't want that. Two, no money for Sony. It might help move more systems out the door, but the systems cost Sony money. So Sony would have to be confident that people buying the systems to play PS1 games will actually buy enough legit PSP games or accessories to give Sony a profit.

omg, a well-thought-out conversation. What is going on around here? :naughty:

Well put. I wasn't implying that I actually thought all that would happen with this announcement though. I was just saying that there's already a precedent for backwards-compatability, and extending that to handhelds wouldn't be a huge leap if the technology was there. As you've pointed out, the technology isn't there at the moment. Most obviously, the hardware has the wrong number of buttons, making direct-emulation with ripped images entirely impractical, nevermind the potential piracy issues.

I guess you could sum up what I intented to say like this: If Sony could let you play your PS1 games on a handheld without endangering their IPs, I think they would. Obviously that "if" condition isn't met at the moment, for a number of reasons. I think this not because I think Sony is kindhearted, but because the extended library would be the same good business it is on the home consoles.

Edited by Daeval

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most obviously, the hardware has the wrong number of buttons, making direct-emulation with ripped images entirely impractical, nevermind the potential piracy issues.

I guess you could sum up what I intented to say like this:  If Sony could let you play your PS1 games on a handheld without endangering their IPs, I think they would.  Obviously that "if" condition isn't met at the moment, for a number of reasons.  I think this not because I think Sony is kindhearted, but because the extended library would be the same good business it is on the home consoles.

I've been thinking about the button thing. They could possibly give the emulator itself a front end that would allow the user to configure the controls themselves... a menu where it would show the PS2 buttons and what you would like to map it to on the PSP. But I still think there might be some games, especially those requiring two analog sticks, that may have to be adapted in the game code itself.

But like I said, I think Sony would have to think about how profitable it would be to allow people to rip games they own. It doesn't really cost them anything on the home consoles to have backwards compatibility other than during the engineering phase of the next gen console itself. The reason is because no one is going to buy a PS2 just to play PS1 games. If that's all they wanted then they could get a PSOne for much cheaper. Plus it encourages your current user base to upgrade to the next generation.

But if they allow people to rip PS1 games for use on the PSP then you might actually have people who would buy the PSP just to be able to play PS1 games in a portable format. And if Sony is still losing money on the sales of the PSP hardware itself, then those customers would simply be losing Sony money. But if they think that enough of those customers might also buy PSP games and accessories to gain a profit overall, then, yeah, I could see where they might let people rip games they own.

Edited by Thraxen

No,they won't settle with selling PSP games.They want money for PS1 ones too.

No way they will allow users to play their own iso's.

They give us the emulator and we play the games..haha..no way man.

What we're trying to figure out here is how they will do it.

Most likely they will use a mixture of emulating the game and porting the controls all packed up in a very secure way.

• 3 weeks later...