Official + Legal PS1 Emulation on the PSP!

Mooney

To be fair, I didn't play too many PS1 games with the analog sticks anyway. I didn't even own a dualshock until I got a ps2, actually. So the analog stick isn't the most pressing issue for me, it's those dang buttons.

But I'm sure they'll port things appropriately. That they're doing it at all is pretty cool.

But... PSP SP, damnit.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, at least we will not get a influx of PSone port to PSP.

THe developers will have to bring in something new since emu for PS1 is available now :naughty:

Like Syphon Filter for PSP = yummy

THe developers will have to bring in something new since emu for PS1 is available now :D

No they won't. Why bring a new game on a 10 year old system that has trouble loading it's own game compared the new, somewhat improved, PSP?

Are they really making an emulator ?

How will they handle the security issues ?

I'm thinking the emu will be integrated in a new firmware and the iso's will be modified somehow so that you won't be able to use your own iso's,just the ones you buy and d/l from them.If they have the balls to go through with it then they must have some serious security in mind.

On the other hand they could just port the games,so no emulation involved.This would be somewhat safer.

If this is true and you can upload your games then the PSP will outsell the DS very fast. :thumbsup1:

You know thats not true. Come on, even with all of PSP's extra crap, it still isn't winning by a fair margin.

I predict it will be like GC for the first week, then back into 2nd place.

Y'know, as long as they had a way to make them un-tradeable (like maybe a piece of pc-software that did the ripping and made a specially watermarked image or something), it wouldn't be such a surprising move for them to let you play your old PS1 games. They already let you play them on the PS2, and reportedly on the PS3, so except for the technical aspects, it's not that big a leap.

Maybe Sony just realized emulation and piracy were running rampant with all their systems, so they're trying to hide their shame by making it O.K. to play PS1 games. Bastards.

They aren't going to let people rip and play their own PSX games. That will never happen.

I think you're probably right about the first part - they're probably not going to let people rip their own games. They may let people play their own PS1 games games though, with the right infrastructure.

I think you're probably right about the first part - they're probably not going to let people rip their own games.  They may let people play their own PS1 games games though, with the right infrastructure.

I still don't think what you're thinking will happen. I think what we will see is a selection of PS1 games that Sony has modified slightly to adapt to the PSPs controls. These games, as Sony stated, will be made available to download for some sort of fee.

Your idea about a specially designed PC program that watermarks rips for play on the PSP sounds nice, but I doubt Sony will do it for a couple of reasons. One, someone will figure out a way to allow the program to rip and watermark burned copies of games, and Sony won't want that. Two, no money for Sony. It might help move more systems out the door, but the systems cost Sony money. So Sony would have to be confident that people buying the systems to play PS1 games will actually buy enough legit PSP games or accessories to give Sony a profit.