Also in need of sound card

My old one blew up, This one looks pretty good, but i will only be using it for stereo sound.

http://www.onsale.com/onsale/shop/detail~dpno~422142.asp

any recommendations? It would be nice to have a sound card that was only stereo and had the same audio quality or better because i would think i could save some money, but then again i may get into surround sound later. but later would be wayyyyy later, im still looking for a good surround setup for my TV.

I recently bought a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic sound card. IT RULES. I recommend any card in the X-Fi series. Why did I buy it?

xficmssthreedeehp.jpg

...wins

Plus the 24-bit crystalizer really improves the sound as well.

Edited by Weirdy

That card is amazing, and would definitley fit my setup alot better (im a Hi-Fi nut) im not sure i can afford that right now because im getting a case, RAM, and a video card too. is there anywhere i can get it for around 80 bucks?

the X-Fi Xtreme Music would be good enough because im not going to be doing any recording or anything with this PC.

Not that I know of. It's definitely worth the money though

[edit]The XtremeMusic doesn't have the X ram that the other ones have either. I don't need it though, I have plenty of system ram. :banghead:

Edited by Weirdy

that santa cruz is probably the most i can afford right now, i MAY be able to squeeze in a little more, but i am also going on vacation soon so im trying really hard to save money (im really bad with saving my money i spend it on stupid crap sometimes)

I recently bought a Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS for $37 w/ tax. I got a great deal on it and I'm going to keep it in its plastic until I can build a new pc. It's the series before the X-Fi (discluding Audigy4).

Sound Blaster® Audigy® 2 ZS delivers 24-bit ADVANCED HD™ audio quality playback with incredible 108dB SNR. It delivers the highest resolution audio playback with support for DVD-Audio at 24-bit/192kHz in stereo or 24-bit/96kHz in 5.1 surround in addition to industry leading standards, like THX®-certification and Windows Media 9: 24-bit multi-channel audio format.

The Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS also provides encompassing 7.1 surround sound for Dolby Digital® EX as well as DTS-ES supported DVD movies, any DirectSound 3D games, and CMSS 3D virtualized 7.1 stereo music. Musicians will also enjoy true 24-bit recording and low latency ASIO support for the ultimate audio recording platform.

If you can get it your hands on it, buy it fast, since it's now discontinued with the new X-Fi series. Dell still uses the card for their Desktops as well for around $80. The regular ZS version is the equivalent of the X-Fi XtremeMusic. The one thing I personally like about the ZS series more than the X-Fi is that it has 6 kinds of audio slots and a firewire port, opposed to 4 slots and a 9-pin joystick port that is dead on the X-Fi. In terms of quality though, the X-Fi is superb and will prepare you a long ways for the future. Just makesure you have an extra $40+. :banghead:

Bah, I don't need firewire if I'm not going to be recording anything. If I were I would've bought a platinum or a fatality. Either way, I'm still happy since I had a Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit prior to my purchase. (The difference is like night and day I tell ya!)

Edited by Weirdy