I've never used Discguzzler, the damn program can't even recognize the layout of it's own disc images.

As for Alcohol120% aka FantomCD (Yes, it IS the FantomCD of old) I can't speak bad or good about it, but FantomCD was the crap years ago.

DOA2LE is Japan only, a backup of any region will work on ANY DC. No import loader/boot CD required.

If Nero is what you like, Nero is all you need. Neither of the above are "required".

Google Daemon Tools and get your image mounted (Read the manual if need be), then simply do a Disc Copy like you would from one CDROM to another.

View Disc info in Nero to be sure a game is self booting. If the disc has 2 sessions, you're good to go.

And always remember that an ISO or BIN rip, is NEVER self booting. Multisession unsupported.

If you're still lost, I'll shut up. I don't know how to break things down simpler.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thats pretty informative in fact, thanks ;)

noooow i see what daemon tools / mounting could be for. and knowing that backups are multiregion compatible will probably save me some worries.. once i get started, that is!

and now i see that 2 sessions = self-boot, which explains why ppl say that those bin images are not selfboot.

thanks for the info, i'll try again to tackle this

hey everyone, thank you for your help, i've gotten more help here than any other forum. and i'm sorry to seem like a never ending stream of questions, but...

i'm trying to use alcohol 120. when i turn it on i get an error message, but the program still opens. so i go to image burning wizard and select one of my cdi's. but then the info that appears says that it will be only one track, and also that cdi is not a compatible format or something.. but i thought alcohol could do cdi's fine? this is version 1.9.5, fyi.

as for discjuggler, i was only able to get a really old version, like 2.0, and it doesnt seem to have the features to burn an image. it just didnt work.

i tried mounting the image to a virtual drive with daemon tools, then tried both nero 6 and bootdreams' cdrecord to burn. these are some of the attempts i've made::

Rez:

1.bootdreams >> nero > DAO mode....burn successful... will not play.

2.bin+cue files >>mounted using daemon >> used nero 6 > copy cd...burned fine... does not work.

dOA 2 LE:

1.used nero...burned... will not play.

2.mounted with daemon tools >> used bootdreams>> data/data. scrambled the 1st_read when prompted to. created an ip when prompted to...burned it... doesnt work.

mr driller :

1. bootdreams > cdi record. no altered settings. burned just the cdi file(chose the cdi of mr driller when asked what would be the "main binary")...burned... will not play.

(i also tried using a real disc of DC-X before the copy for each)

in every case, if i put the burned cd into my pc, the proper files do appear. i wish i could test them out with chankast but my pc is nowhere near good enough.

as you can see, i've tried a variety of programs and methods, nothing has worked. what else could i try? what in the above methods is flawed? I'm going to keep trying so any recommendations will be welcome.

Use RAW/DAO at 4X burn speed just to make sure. Use 700MB CD-Rs. Some games do not boot you need Utopia or Game Shark try the other if one doesn't work. Mounting the images against burning them directly doesn't really do much IMO. I've noticed that Chakast doesn't really care about the burn settings it runs many CDs that failed on my DC. But I think RAW/DAO setting should fix your problem. Oh I've seen some games that never work, at least on my DC.

Edited by Tynvar

• 2 weeks later...

I could be wrong but I think the advice you got was to mount the image to a vr drive using Daemon and just do a disc copy using nero.So maybe you should just try to mount the image you have, dont use any tools on it and burn a copy.

thanks for your advice, all

since i tried everything, i decided to just get a version 1 dreamcast (no. 1 n the circle on the bottom label). i know some people think that all dcs will work with backups, but i dont think so. the version 2's, like the one i was using, will not work. i'm sure the above techniques will work without a hitch on the ver1 DC.

no seriously there is only ONE version of the DC that will not work, and its REALLY REALLY REALLY rare, i DOUBT you got one, it was in the last batch of DCs made, and it even has trouble burning certain commercial games (Grandia 2 for example)

I forget what it says at the bottom, probably a 2001 manufacture date late in the year though

but its true, the dcs from october 2000 onwards will not even play music cdrs. testing a music cdr with no success was the last straw for me. maybe some of those exceptionally complicated techniqques like the one i posted above (where you have to screw around with the image files through 5 different programs!) would work, but i can honestly say that i dont recommend even trying it, as i spent and wasted a lot of time. it would have been less costly had i decided right after seeing that circled 2 on the system to just buy an earlier console. now that i have, i can finally enjoy the vcd playing, emulating, backuping goodness of a DC. :naughty: