PSXeven Display Trouble

Blade

Okay, let me set the record straight by saying that PSXeven does indeed work on my system as I've gotten such games as Valkyrie Profile, Final Fantasy VIII, Einhander, among other games, to work...my only gripe is that I'm not quite sure how best to optimise how the games are displayed.

Either the Video is too fast/garbled, or the gameplay is fast-forwarded or laggy/slow.

I know there's a way to set it so that the framerate is just right, I'm just not quite sure how to do it.

Also, I'm wondering if there's a way to hide sprite layers with the emulator for sprite-ripping.

Question: What video plugin do you use and what video card do you have? GPU plugin-wise, Pe.Op.S Sofft plugin is the most accurate, while Pete's OpenGL2 is just awesome in a small package.

No plugin offers sprite layers enabling/disabling, since the PSX isn't a strictly 2D system (rather a 3D system with 2D coming second). Only emulators that emulate fully 2D systems have options for disabling certain layers.

As for the speed issues... Always use a sane resolution. I'd say that 1024x768 is more than enough. Make sure that the frame limiter is enabled in the GPU plugin config. Either let the GPU plugin detect the correct framerate, or force it manually.

Much of the slowness comes from the special effects that the PSX does (mainly the Framebuffer and off-screen drawing routines). Framebuffer effects are the most taxing ones, and many games do not work unless you have at least some kind of framebuffer emulation enabled in the GPU config. Also, using filtering for hi-res textures causes slowdown, especially in fully 2D games, since these filters were put in with 2D games in mind.

Most of the video errors usually have to do with either the shortcomings of the GPU plugin or shortcomings of your video card. Certain plugins work better with certain cards.

with my card, the Opengl plug-in works best

use Opengl2 only if you have a mid- -> high-end nvidia card or a high-end ATI card so that you can configure the plug-in to do high-res; else, everything will just look software rendered

with my card, the Opengl plug-in works best

use Opengl2 only if you have a mid- -> high-end nvidia card or a high-end ATI card so that you can configure the plug-in to do high-res; else, everything will just look software rendered

It's not really like that. OpenGL2 won't do software, neither does it look like software rendered. At least not on my machines, even if I bump the X res and overall resolution down a notch.

I know opengl2 doesn't do software

it just looks like software to me

well...at 800x600

;) Whatever you say. Probably because you'll get very visible DirectDraw Acceleration artifacts is software at such a low resolution (namely interpolation/bilinear filtering effect), so software and OpenGL look the same - while not being the same after all.

I'm using the P.E.Op.S. Soft Driver for my GPU and I'm using an ATI Radeon X300 Graphics Card, also, do you know if there's a plugin that lets you use USB Controller/Joysticks for PSXeven? The only plugin I have is the Segu Direct Input Keyboard Driver.

Why are you using the Software plugin if you have something like the X300? The accelerated plugins aren't that inaccurate compared to the Software plugin. Software is always slower than Direct3D or OpenGL, that's given. Get the pad plugin that SSSPSX uses.