DS chat program Released (source too)

bafio

Updated 22/2/2006

Hi everyone! DSchat is finally out, with real functionalities this time! you can find it here:

http://bafio.drunkencoders.com/

Version 0.9

Version 0.9

* New default skin, designed by Rat (Ben) of Drunken Coders

* New keyboard with support for all the keys, shift and caps.

* Multiple messages view (press X to change from 1 message to 4 messages view)

* Menus (back to bootloader, turn off the ds...)

* Settings (change nickname)

* Changable font for the drawings

* Changable skins (simple JPG images, located in the /skins folder)

TODO:

** fix some bugs still present in the server

** Update to the new Wifi library (when out). That will add support for WEP, etc.

* Saving and loading messages from the CF

* Save settings on server and/or on the CF

* Possibly colors and TCP version... not in the near future though

(old)

Hi,

I have been working on this chat program, that would allow to write (using the pen) and send messages to people on the internet.

This is more of a test release, since messeges go only to the server, but it has some functionality so I decided to release it.There is some hidden functionality too :P

You can get it here:

http://bafio.drunkencoders.com/

I'll be working on the UI a bit, then on the server and client to have a user list and real chat functionality, then probably on the pc version of the program...

PS The settings are not inplemented jet, so you will 1st have to run the transfer program to create the settings file.

Bafio

Edited by bafio

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This looks really awesome. I tried it, and it seemed to work on my M3 SD, but i haven't run wifitransfer yet so no settings :devilboy:. I'll just wait till a next release that has settable settings. Anyway i can't wait for a working online version :)

Also as a suggestion, for the server program, could you make it have an option so it saves every picture you make/send to the computer ? This would be awesome for just doodling while your bored. I've made a ton of doodles myself but well there all lost since you want to play games once in a while to :)

Also, i bet it would make the people at http://ndsart.net/ very happy to have an saving function, no need for going through the trouble of making pictures of the doodles with a camera.

Edited by captain_duck

It would be cool if after TCP/IP support was released, that this turned into MSNDS.. (since, of course, MSN has "hand writing" capability)

Cool program :devilboy: I'm excited for when the wifi library comes out, we're gonna be able to do a lot of cool things.

It works. I sent a few messages and they went through. I got it to display a zoomed out pic of my desktop. It seems to lose the server often and just says "Is the server up?". I'm right next to the AP and the server is running.

The interface looks good, green text is still cool. Like most homebrew apps (apart from dslinux), the touch screen code doesn't work very well on my DS. I can't draw in the top left corner, to get that close, I had to run the stylus along the very left of the screen, I was moving it straight but it curves for some reason.

Edited by Sektor

It would be cool if after TCP/IP support was released, that this turned into MSNDS.. (since, of course, MSN has "hand writing" capability)

Cool program :blink: I'm excited for when the wifi library comes out, we're gonna be able to do a lot of cool things.

I was just thinking about that, but I didn't find documnetation or better libraries on MSN messenger "handwriting protocol" but that would be really cool, let's see...

Fabio

This looks really awesome. I tried it, and it seemed to work on my M3 SD, but i haven't run wifitransfer yet so no settings :blink:. I'll just wait till a next release that has settable settings. Anyway i can't wait for a working online version :)

Also as a suggestion, for the server program, could you make it have an option so it saves every picture you make/send to the computer ? This would be awesome for just doodling while your bored. I've made a ton of doodles myself but well there all lost since you want to play games once in a while to :)

Also, i bet it would make the people at http://ndsart.net/ very happy to have an saving function, no need for going through the trouble of making pictures of the doodles with a camera.

actually, a saving method would be really easy to add, I'll put it into the next release :)

Bafio

All I can really guess is that the picture display capability in MSN messenger is just..well, GIF files. I mean, people pm me on MSN all the time with little animations in their sentances and all.. Would the handwriting function be mearly a capture of someone's mouse movements rendered to a standard GIF file, and displayed within the window?

Perhaps there's more to it, but from what I can see, most of the MSN libraries out there are out of date.