Suggestion for you Wifi programmers out there

tssf

I really..really think everyone should come together and collaborate to create one big suite of DS Wifi tools. One Server that supports everything, and add in plugin support for this suite. Make things easily updatable.

Perhaps this will be more feasible when sgstair's library is 100%, but even if the library itself were a plugin, that would mean updating the library would be very easy, if need be.

But still, I'm finding it hard configuring all these different apps..when all of them could be in one suite, with one configuration (that's able to be saved), one server..etc :P I'm sure some people agree.

But it's an idea, no?

Well, you must remember, if you're currently using anything related to DS wifi, you're right in the middle of the early adopters. Early adopters for things like these especially don't get the luxury of having nice UIs and simple configuration.

There is a light at the end of the tunnel though, the next wifi lib release will change a lot of things. Wifi apps will likely no longer require configuration files at all, and almost everything will start to work automatically as the developers refine their code.

So, if you're interested in a mainstream product at the moment, they just don't exist, but the next lib version will begin the chain of events that will result in a lot of complete, polished apps that will work without so much work in configuring and etc..

So, just be patient for now, all this will be coming soon.

-Stephen

Well, you must remember, if you're currently using anything related to DS wifi, you're right in the middle of the early adopters.  Early adopters for things like these especially don't get the luxury of having nice UIs and simple configuration.

There is a light at the end of the tunnel though, the next wifi lib release will change a lot of things.  Wifi apps will likely no longer require configuration files at all, and almost everything will start to work automatically as the developers refine their code.

So, if you're interested in a mainstream product at the moment, they just don't exist, but the next lib version will begin the chain of events that will result in a lot of complete, polished apps that will work without so much work in configuring and etc..

-Stephen

I like how you put that. :P

Edited by dualscreenman

Well, you must remember, if you're currently using anything related to DS wifi, you're right in the middle of the early adopters.  Early adopters for things like these especially don't get the luxury of having nice UIs and simple configuration.

There is a light at the end of the tunnel though, the next wifi lib release will change a lot of things.  Wifi apps will likely no longer require configuration files at all, and almost everything will start to work automatically as the developers refine their code.

-Stephen

can't wait! im all set! (well by the time its ready anyhow)

I think thats a good idea, but the library is a little too young to be adding plugin support at this point. I think the focus should be on getting a reliable protocol working (aka TCP) in addition to a good collection of opensource examples. The problem with having a central server app is that you are going to be adding a lot of bloat to the code if you are not using all the functionality. Also, then you have to deal with multiple connection threads on different ports and all that sort of flow control issues. Maybe when the lib is a little more mature we can agree on some sort of standard, but it seems a little early IMHO.

// cybereality