Cats can't distinguish HDTV from reality

Alpha

snoopy1ww.th.jpg

Washington, D.C. (January 14, 2006) -- The other night, I was thinking of watching a movie on HBO, but my female housemate wouldn't let me. She was absorbed in a PBS documentary about birds, which was broadcast in High-Definition TV.

My female housemate is named Snoopy. She's a five-year-old black domestic cat.

Yes, my cat watches High-Definition TV.

In fact, she will watch for 20 minutes at a time, particularly if the show features birds, fish or animals. If she sees a bird flying on a high-def channel, she will crouch down in the attacker stance as if the winged creature was right in front of her.

The high-def picture is so clear and life-like that Snoopy apparently thinks it's real.

"My cat attacked the TV when (the high-def network) HDNet was playing a show about lions," said one high-def owner at alt.tv.tech.hdtv.

"Our cat generally ignores the TV. But one night there was a show with wolves. She went over to the screen and tried to touch one," said another.

Read the full article with pictures @ http://www.tvpredictions.com/catwatcheshdtv011606.htm

--------------------------------

I'd have to say I think it's really just comical. The guy obviously only has an HDTV, so where's the comparison to see how the Cat would react with the same channel on a non-HDTV televison? HDTV is not really that different to regular TV. Simply, HDTV is a joke and one big money making scheme. I guarentee you the same Cat would watch TV and do the same thing if the Television was not HDTV compatible, but same size. IMO, it only matters in what the channel is showing. :naughty:

snoopy1ww.th.jpg

Washington, D.C. (January 14, 2006) -- The other night, I was thinking of watching a movie on HBO, but my female housemate wouldn't let me. She was absorbed in a PBS documentary about birds, which was broadcast in High-Definition TV.

My female housemate is named Snoopy. She's a five-year-old black domestic cat.

Yes, my cat watches High-Definition TV.

In fact, she will watch for 20 minutes at a time, particularly if the show features birds, fish or animals. If she sees a bird flying on a high-def channel, she will crouch down in the attacker stance as if the winged creature was right in front of her.

The high-def picture is so clear and life-like that Snoopy apparently thinks it's real.

"My cat attacked the TV when (the high-def network) HDNet was playing a show about lions," said one high-def owner at alt.tv.tech.hdtv.

"Our cat generally ignores the TV. But one night there was a show with wolves. She went over to the screen and tried to touch one," said another.

Read the full article with pictures @ http://www.tvpredictions.com/catwatcheshdtv011606.htm

--------------------------------

I'd have to say I think it's really just comical. The guy obviously only has an HDTV, so where's the comparison to see how the Cat would react with the same channel on a non-HDTV televison? HDTV is not really that different to regular TV. Simply, HDTV is a joke and one big money making scheme. I guarentee you the same Cat would watch TV and do the same thing if the Television was not HDTV compatible, but same size. IMO, it only matters in what the channel is showing. :P

Actually with the fact that cats possess far better eyesight than humans, I'm inclined to believe this.......to some extent.

@ Gamecop: I'm going to be laughing for the next hour at that statement you just made, you obviously know nothing about resolutions, that's like saying playing a game in 1280x720 will be the same as 640x480...

@ other dude: That's true and chances are they can see it being broadcasted in interlaced or progressive, there's a refresh difference and I'm 99% certain they can tell, interlaced shows half the image (every other line) progressive shows the full image

Well, you're right, I don't know much about resolutions. But I do know the basic information, HDTV makes the screen look a lot more crisper, without scanlines, etc. But I still don't see it as a *significant* difference to regular TV. To the average (or maybe I'm in the minority) consumer, it just looks like someone played with the contrast. :P

Unless you watch hidef video you really won't see the difference, it really doesn't even make much of a difference when watching dvd movies in progressive although it IS a big difference. I actually just watched some 720p and 1080i encodes recently and wet myself at the quality, it's SO beautiful!