Google PC with Google OS

Diso

Keep in mind that this is a prediction and may/may not be real.

The LA Times has a roundup of tech predictions for '06 and they start their list off with a real doozy: Google has cheap PC in the works that features a Google OS and will debut via Wal-Mart and other retailers. Not the first time we've heard rumors that Google is getting ready to make some moves in this direction, but the LA Times seems fairly confident about things this time around, saying that that they've spoken with several industry and analyst sources who claim the boxen would drop for as low as a couple hundred dollars. Not that there aren't plenty of peeps out there who are chomping at the bit for Google to throwdown big time against Microsoft, but until we're blogging from our brand new Google PC we're going to have to treat this report as total speculation. Discuss.

Link

Saw this on another forum (the-magicbox.com). Have to say it's really interesting to see a google os. Wonder how it would work and how well it would perform. What the heck would it be used for either is what I'm asking? (games, development, general, searching..?

But I would not be suprised if they're working on this in secret. Publicly they may be denying it since they're partners with other PC vendors and they might not want to distance them yet by becoming a direct competitor.

Of course they would deny it. They have been working on an OS for a few yrs now. why do u think aa lot of microsoft guys went to google other than the phat paycheck. but as gryph said they are partners with a lot of vendors, so it only makes perfect sense to keep it all hush hush. just nod your head and deny everything google. lol and of course i can only speculate it will be an internet/light duty machine i dont see google tackling gaming rigs anytime soon. they are all about getting into the homes at this point so they will keep it really cheap. i will predict 100- 200 dollar range on them.

I'm gonna say closer to the $200-$300 range. What kind of software is going to be compatible on their OS if they make one? Would it run Windows software? Could be a possibility since they have a lot of ex-Microsoft employees. They can't be too secretive, because to make a succesful OS you need software to back it up.

I would think if they were gonna do something like this it would be a msntv/webtv kinda thing. a settop box that could surf the internet and send mail and junk.

stranger news (rumors)I have heard is that apple is going to release a plasma TV with a media center mac built right into it.

It would be pretty cool if Mac had a media center machine. If it weren't for games I would probably most want to use OS X. Vista is basically catching up to OS X Tiger.

Here are two funny videos illustrating that. The audio is from the Microsoft CES keynote address where the guy is describing features in Vista but the video is of OS X. That just shows everything Vista has in store has pretty much been done by OS X.

http://www.maclive.net/sid/134

http://www.maclive.net/sid/135

another thing I heard about macs this weekend was that apple is switching to intel pentium chips. and it was speculated that these macs could be dual booted with windows. that would make macs very attractive.

macworld in tuesday, I guess all will be reveiled then