GLW_StartOpenGL()

bogard81

Now i,m sick of it.my brother want's to play "return to castle wolfenstein" and gives me this erorr "can't open GLW_StartOpenGL()".i'm having geforce2 and windows xp.i tried some patches but nothing.on windows 98 there where no troubles(i was playing this game some time ago when i used 98).what's my problem?

The graphics card drivers update should sort it. If you've already done that and are still having troubles - have you ever installed a Glide wrapper of some sort into your Windows (or Windows/System32 folder?) If so that can also cause this in RTCW - had it myself actually, the game thinks you are using a 3DFX card and automatically selects Glide, which then fails thru the wrapper.

Think the former will fix it though more than the ramblings of the latter :P

So you're saying that if Glide3x.dll is in the System32 folder, RTCW automatically defaults to 3Dfx/Glide? I find that odd.

Or then I missed your point.

Yep, that is exactly what I was saying. The problem happened with me, basically game would load to the title screen, try to go in game and the game would crash 100% of the time. I traced it to the Glide wrapper I had installed in the system folder a while back.

This is the only game I've found that exhibited this behaviour. And yes odd is the word :P

The only explanation I can think of is the Catalyst drivers at the time for my card had a small bug. Now I can't replicate the issue at all - the game defaults to GL as it should.

Edit:

Just found the error log from that time, dated April 15th 2005:

Beginning Glide3 log

panic: texel download out of bounds > listed a lot of times

Edited by Trotterwatch