Xbox 360 mod chips almost available!

Alpha

ACCORDING TO cdrinfo.com, a mod chip for the Xbox 360 is likely to show up "within weeks."

They go on to say that a "member of a hacker group" implied that they will be done making the first mod chip in a couple of weeks.

"Everyone of us is endeavoring to develop a mod chip with complete functions. With the chip, gamers will access all functions of Xbox360. We think the chip will be available at market in a couple of weeks. But as the first attempt, the first batch of chips may be complex and they may not function very well."

At least this "hacker group" is more honest about the functionality of their hardware than Microsoft.

cdrinfo.com also reports that pirated games for the Xbox 360 will be on sale (via another "hacker group") in February or March. But people have already been arrested for selling pirated games on the Xbox 360! I guess everybody has wacky release dates.

This modding news comes after Microsoft's statement:

We have made improvements on both the hardware and software side to protect Xbox 360 against piracy and modding. With Xbox 360, we had the benefit of learning from our experiences on Xbox. This allowed us to identify points of weakness that were exploited by hackers in the first generation and to eliminate those vulnerabilities in Xbox 360.

Looks like either Microsoft didn't quite get all the "vulnerabilities" out, or those wily "hacker groups" found new ones.

This is amazing, but not surprising because the XBOX 360 is just one big computer on a modified Windows operating system. I'd like to know who the creator of the chip will be though. My bet will be on SmartXX (the people who took the first dev pictures of the XBOX 360).

My mom already payed for my 360, just waiting for next shipment....., hope this modchip comes before next shipment :P

I personally wouldn't buy the first batch of modchips and probably would wait a year. Think of it as the first batch of XBOX 360's, want to fry your box? :D

My mom already payed for my 360, just waiting for next shipment....., hope this modchip comes before next shipment :P

I personally wouldn't buy the first batch of modchips and probably would wait a year. Think of it as the first batch of XBOX 360's, want to fry your box? :D

You got a point, I guess I should wait...

I don't why people buy mods chips and risk having there expensive equitment damage. IMO it just not worth it. also I would wait for a year.

Well, now of days they have Solderless modchips which the risk is quite minimal. But it's true, it's VERY EASY to kill the system with a modchip, but IMHO only with if you must solder. Also, it can be caused by stupidity if you accidently delete or overwrite the entire file system.

I too have no doubt the rumours are circa SmartXX........the only problem with that is the SmartXX team is a bunch of f**king morons. Don't you know theres a v1.7 Xbox, and they discovered it? The problem with that, is that it's just a 1.4 with lacquer over some chips.

I'll be hard pressed to believe ANYONE has run any unsigned code or backups until someone spills the beans on how the Hypervisor functions (On a technical level!) or how they've managed to trick/bypass the Hypervisor. Until then, everything out there is bullsh!t.

btw, this "news" is like 2 weeks old, and nothing has surfaced since then.