Song sites face legal crackdown

taratata

The music publishers couldn't be left out of the fun, could they?

The music industry is to extend its copyright war by taking legal action against websites offering unlicensed song scores and lyrics.

The Music Publishers' Association (MPA), which represents US sheet music companies, will launch its first campaign against such sites in 2006.

MPA president Lauren Keiser said he wanted site owners to be jailed.

He said unlicensed guitar tabs and song scores were widely available on the internet but were "completely illegal".

Mr Keiser said he did not just want to shut websites and impose fines, saying if authorities can "throw in some jail time I think we'll be a little more effective".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4508158.stm

most tabs are not completely acurate anyways, usually just the chord progressions maybe a halfway acurate melody if your lucky. I don't see how they can sue over one persons impression of a song. whats next? sueing cover bands? sueing me for figuring out songs by ear?

I can kinda see if someone buys a tab book and copies it down and posts it on the internet... but most of whats out there is just notes from people who figured out something that sounds close by ear.

most tabs are not completely acurate anyways, usually just the chord progressions maybe a halfway acurate melody if your lucky. I don't see how they can sue over one persons impression of a song. whats next? sueing cover bands? sueing me for figuring out songs by ear?

I can kinda see if someone buys a tab book and copies it down and posts it on the internet... but most of whats out there is just notes from people who figured out something that sounds close by ear.

Unless one of the songs you learned by ear contains easy to know chordes. Most of Frank Black and The Pixies' tabs are like that. Just a bunch of B5s and A5s

Unless one of the songs you learned by ear contains easy to know chordes. Most of Frank Black and The Pixies' tabs are like that. Just a bunch of B5s and A5s

and there is no copyright on power chords. come on I can play just about anything (minus crazy jazz and stuff like that. heheh) convincingly with the same 4 or 5 power chords. and the basic "cowboy chords"