ATI Catalyst Problem

Rag

The Catalyst Control Center for my Radeon X700 is giving me problems. I first bought the card and installed the CCC from the cd and it worked fine until about yesterday when it just stopped working. So, I downloaded version 5.12. I uninstalled the old one, reinstalled the new one. The problem is at startup, the new one gives an error: "you do not have permission to change Catalyst Control Center settings..." I've uninstalled (properly) and reinstalled the old driver from the CD, no good. And I've uninstalled the whole entire ATI driver and reinstalled, still no good. A weird thing is, after about 2 minutes after startup, I have no trouble accessing the CCC and it works fine, its just for those previous 2 minutes, it claims I don't have permission. Anyone have this problem or know how to fix it?

On another note, what exactly does CCC do? If its not necessarily that important, I could just use the original ATI Radeon driver control center.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Control Center #1 Requires you have the.NET framework installed. So make sure you have the latest.

#2 You need to have administrator priviledges, if you aren't logged in as an Admin.......do so. Though I would assume you are, as you can't install/uninstall drivers and system software without being one.

Theres always the possibility theres a bug in the latest Control Center. Revert to a previous version.

I believe that the catalyst drivers 5.12 and anything else after that will require the Catalyst Control Center

Optional software, theres no need for it to be a requirement. It doesn't do anything that the Control Panel doesn't do pretty much. ATi isn't into the bloatware, and would be stupid to force users to have CC installed, I won't use it.......I have no need for it.

I believe that the catalyst drivers 5.12 and anything else after that will require the Catalyst Control Center

Optional software, theres no need for it to be a requirement. It doesn't do anything that the Control Panel doesn't do pretty much. ATi isn't into the bloatware, and would be stupid to force users to have CC installed, I won't use it.......I have no need for it.

...they didn't release a built with a control center though

Well I have the latest framework version and I am the admin of my computer, I don't really understand the problem. I might just remove the Catalyst Control Center unless I can figure it out. Is the CCC just a program for more options in controlling your card or does it actually do anything else?

You could just use Omega Drivers, and a speed boost and a slew of other optimizations. Furthermore, it doesn't come the the CCC, but ATI Tray Tools, which doesn't require the.NET Framework, and it's better overall.

I hear the omega drivers are only necessary if you want to overclock

Looks like you've been only listening to the overclocking enthusiasts. Yes, Omegas offer a wide range of options for overclocking but they are also better optimized than the regular Catalyst drivers. Personally, I've noticed smoother framerates in high-end games.

• 2 weeks later...
You could just use Omega Drivers, and a speed boost and a slew of other optimizations. Furthermore, it doesn't come the the CCC, but ATI Tray Tools, which doesn't require the.NET Framework, and it's better overall.

i reccomend the dna set of drivers http://www.dna-drivers.com/index.php

ive tried omega b4 but does not compare to the performance upgrade of the dna drivers