a student project

yorel

Hello,

As the title of this subject say it, i'm a student having an university project. I must realize a program that make the DS be able to command a webcam, a motorized auto or something like that, by means of wifi.

Actually, i research what i must buy to begin really my project after my exam's in january and i would like some advice to know what is the best materials.

I think that i will need :

-A PCI card like these on this web site : http://ralink.rapla.net/

-A DS flash card in which i will have to put my instructions,...

But... so what is the best ? And why ?

I have already an other question : When a GBA flash card is putting in the Nintendo DS, are all its functions ( wifi, pad ) always activated ?

Thanks to all.

Edited by yorel

Hello,

As the title of this subject say it, i'm a student having an university project. I must realize a program that make the DS be able to command a webcam, a motorized auto or something like that, by means of wifi.

Actually, i research what i must buy to begin really my project after my exam's in january and i would like some advice to know what is the best materials.

I think that i will need :

-A PCI card like these on this web site : http://ralink.rapla.net/

-A DS flash card in which i will have to put my instructions,...

But... so what is the best ? And why ?

I have already an other question : When a GBA flash card is putting in the Nintendo DS, are all its functions ( wifi, pad ) always activated ?

Thanks to all.

Seems like a very strange project to be given at uni.

I thought it strange too.

Wifi on the DS is in its infancy, I couldn't conceive of how the university would have even heard of it yet let alone setting exams on it. And why that specific hardware? What if you didn't own one? If it's something you want to do, and need help, why don't you say so.

I don't think the technology has come far enough for anyone to give an answer. And, does it mean the DS has to transmit a control signal? I admit I know nothing about this, but is the DS capable of transmitting? What range (distance) are you after? It would be more viable to simply buy a webcam (or whatever) that comes with a remote control.

Anyway, enough from me, I'll leave the floor to those who actually DO know something...

Well you could have the DS do it...but I don't see why.

You'd need and app on DS and one a computer

DS app sends data to the computer app, computer app parses data and moves the camera(assuming the motors etc are connected to the computer etc).

Yet I don't see why is has to be DS..There'd be a lot easier ways to go about this.

Edit: Using sg's test wifi lib of course.

Edited by Alias-Zero

Wifi on the DS is in its infancy, I couldn't conceive of how the university would have even heard of it yet let alone setting exams on it. And why that specific hardware? What if you didn't own one? If it's something you want to do, and need help, why don't you say so.

I don't think the technology has come far enough for anyone to give an answer. And, does it mean the DS has to transmit a control signal? I admit I know nothing about this, but is the DS capable of transmitting? What range (distance) are you after? It would be more viable to simply buy a webcam (or whatever) that comes with a remote control.

Anyway, enough from me, I'll leave the floor to those who actually DO know something...

The electronic man who gives me the project, likes ( and apparently buys ) all that goes out : GBA, DS, PSP,... So, he reads a lot of new's, and one gave him the idea of such a funny project, an investigation's project. He gives me a DS ( and will probably give all i will need ).

I have two month's after my exam's ( in january ) to try to realize something but i must buy a PCI card and a DS flash card before... and i want to know what are the best card's and flash card between all card with chipset RT2500/RT2560 possible to run my homebrew application's.

Have you try some cards / flash cards ? What are the best ones ?

Is a GBA card ok to run DS function's as pad, wifi, double screen ? Or the DS goes in a sort of "GBA mode" when a GBA game is put in it ?

Yorel

Edited by yorel

The electronic man who gives me the project, likes ( and apparently buys ) all that goes out : GBA, DS, PSP,... So, he reads a lot of new's, and one gave him the idea of such a funny project, an investigation's project. He gives me a DS ( and will probably give all i will need ).

I have two month's after my exam's ( in january ) to try to realize something but i must buy a PCI card and a DS flash card before... and i want to know what are the best card's and flash card between all card with chipset RT2500/RT2560 possible to run my homebrew application's.

Have you try some cards / flash cards ? What are the best ones ?

A GBA card is ok to run DS function's as pad, wifi, double screen ? Or the DS goes in a sort of "GBA mode" when a GBA game is put in it ?

Yorel

Cool, an electronic man!

All jokes aside..

Please specify further, are you trying to connect the DS Directly to this camera/auto? Or are you supposed to write a program for the DS that will remotely control a camera/auto that has it's own control circuitry?

As many others have stated, some of the tools for doing such a project (such as the DS's wifi) just *barely* have code mature enough to do such a thing.

Additionally, you need to be much clearer in saying what you are trying to do, because at present it is not very clear at all.

-Stephen

What kind of camera / auto / etc are you trying to remote control? are they native wifi devices? or is there some other thing controlling them and using wifi?

It's certainly not impossible to do a remote control on DS at the moment, but it may not be easy.

-Stephen

What kind of camera / auto / etc are you trying to remote control? are they native wifi devices? or is there some other thing controlling them and using wifi?

It's certainly not impossible to do a remote control on DS at the moment, but it may not be easy.

-Stephen

I guess that there is some other thing controlling them and using wifi but actually, i ask myself if it is already defined. I must ask that to the person in charge of that.

I doubt there's a RC controlled car that uses 2,4Ghz to control.

You should buy yourself a DS DevKit from dspassme.com, a RC controlled car from a toy store, flash the DS with passme and GBAmp and then disassemble RC controller, solder it to PassME and write an application to control the car.

EDIT: Check out natrium42.com for some of his PassME modding projects done so far. He could also help you

Edited by MaHe