eXclusive: Guess what it is, the new in Emulation!

Alpha

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm. Preloading?

I don't really keep up with next-gen emulation since my PC can't really handle it.

Time to put an end to this. :clapping:

It's a plugin that uses the CDVD side of PCSX2 to stream a game from a remote server to the emulator, so that it can be played / tested without actually having to have the game.

Resource sharing so to speak, however this plugin is pretty darn illegal, it's the equivilent of streaming Star Wars to a public audience and expecting G.Lucas to be happy about it. It's illegal as it initially sends you the games exe, then streams data requested by the program on the fly, but no end user has the right to recieve this data as they do not own it, and the person serving the data does not have the right to publish it.

It's not like borrowing a game from a mate, it's like lending it out to several thousand, the last thing PCSX2 needs is P2P adding on.

I shall be having strong words with the author of this, though I expect the emu devs will be making some form of comment soon.

This plugin is being hyped from the shots of the console doing this 'streaming', not a good start. I am somewhat suprised at gamecop for doing this kind of 'hype', sure the team release shots and news of progress, but a guessing game, oh dear :P

Well that ends the guessing atleast. :P

But it can also be used to stream homebrew software.

Well gosh that makes it so worthwhile dragging PCSX2 into the realms of P2P, PS2 game servers and warez kiddiez, how silly of me to ignore the potential of streaming BOR from a server when it'd run faster just by simply downloading it.

Yeah, kiddie wants to play "Generic Side Scroller with 3D trippy effect" over FFX or DMC3.....right, yeah they will all make that moral desision. :P

But what about someone like myself who has multiple PCs? One of which is pretty much a central server for me for whatever my needs are in that department.

Wouldn't something like this be of use to stream games over from my server? I'm sure it would, but the real question is, are there any benefits of any kind that I couldn't get with simply mounting a network drive instead?