The undeletable file...

NeoMaster

Okay, so I downloaded an album off bittorrent. Theres one file that doesn't work. I try to delete/rename/move or anything else for that matter but it just sits there and does nothing! How do I get rid of this demon file!

UPDATE:

Okay, I just deleted the folder that the file was in. It seemed to do the trick. But can someone explain to me why the file was acting that way?

Edited by NeoMaster

Thanks for replying guys. But my problem was a bit weirder than that. I am used to the windows error thingy, most of the time I just right click and refresh and everything works. But my error nothing appears, it just doesn't accept any command. I got rid of it by deleting the folder itself and there doesn't seem to be anymore problems with that. I just started getting paranoid about viruses and such.

Edited by NeoMaster

On a semi-related note, I've noticed that if you have Winamp on and you have a file on the playlist (but it's not playing) and then delete the file, Windows will report that the file is in use but it'll delete the file anyway.

Wow, that was a long sentence.

I noticed a problem the other day, if I try to move a file called AUTORUN.INF or anything ending with PIF it will say it's in use even when it's not. Renaming AUTORUN.INF to AUTORUN.INF.txt allowed it to be moved. This trick didn't work with the PIF file, so I had to delete it (no complaints about that).

And, when Explorer encounters a problem like that, it bombs out instead of skipping the file and doing the rest. Typical Windows.

Thats because autorun.inf is read on access to the folder it's in.......thats why it's autorun.inf. If you want to delete it without possible problems, you either have to disable autorun or delete it from a command prompt or outside an Explorer window.

Theres the other option of installing a better shell and file manager, and ditching that PoS called Explorer entirely. I for one use Aston and Directory Opus.

Neither are "free" per-say, but I didn't pay for em.

As for resource useage, heres approximately what I remember when I first started using em.......

Explorer running just shell (Taskbar, no Windows open) = 36MB RAM used

Explorer with 1 File Manager window open = 41MB (This increased by around 1MB per window open)

Currently Aston, my replacement shell is using 2.5MB, it usually averages 3.5, but I'm not really doing much right now (Yes your shell increases in resource useage too with other processes runing ontop of/in it. All the more reason to switch!)

Directory Opus has no handles open right now, and is using 1.4MB of RAM. Opening a window to my C drive results in that memory usage increasing to only 5.4MB.

Look at the resource savings alone in that. Then take into consideration that I've killed EVERY unnecesary process I possibly can.

Currently I have only 29 processes runnning. Of which are my own doing, are 8 not including Aston and DOpus. Only 19 others belong to the system, 2 of those being my Antivirus. Anyone wonder now why I can get so much out of my so called "outdated" PC?

With 7Zip currently eating 328MB of my RAM, the next highest process for memory useage is Firefox (Which I'm obviously using right now), the taskmanager I'm reading this off of is 3rd in line for resource useage! Hello!

Oh and to answer the "What won't work" question.....Explorer doesn't NEED to work, other than that both shell and filemanager replacements do MORE than Explorer, and whatever they do that Explorer does, they do better.