USB mass storage devices stop showing under my com

death_entry

For some reason when I plug in a usb device it no longer shows under my computer as a drive like it should. I am connecting my mmc reader and mp3 player none of them register under my computer as mass storage devices like they used to. The safely remove hardware icon next to the clock is still displayed and the devices work on my friends computer fine. I'm running xp pro. I have tested all 8 of my usb ports and not one of them recgonises the drives, yet equipment powers up as normal and I was able to copy pictures from my camera using the wizard, but drives just don't show up for some reason? Anyone have any idea why?

i do. USB sticks tend to try to access drive letters that are allready used. In my company we have this problem often, different USB devices try to grab different driveletters, and if they are taken, you cant see your USB device. Here is how you can check wether this happens for you too:

click start->run

enter "diskmgmt.msc" and hit enter

In this utility you can set your USB device to use a special drive-letter if necessary by right clicking it and choosing the appropiate option. Sadly, this is not permanent for some weird reason and you may use this tool to remap your USB device each time you stick it in.

hope that helps.