Ad-Hoc impossible?

Mr Snowflake

If it turns out to be impossible to implement ad-hoc mode, how will we be able to setup a connection between 2 ds's? Should we use 'ni-fi' then and write our own 802.11 parser?

BTW: Nice to see UDP stack is ready and that you're almost ready to collect the other 2 milestones. GJ Sg.

Edited by Mr Snowflake

Hehe ofcourse :blink:. Well, still dswifi has to support ap mode. So does it?

heh, i would like to know about AP mode too...

(if the DS could go into AP mode then you could have a web server on your DS along with a DNS server and anybody who connects to it could get directed to your DS if noone else was around... also good way to access files off card maybe...)

The DS wouldn't need to be an AP so you can have a web server.

JaJa, you need to elaborate slightly. Claiming something without explaining is confusing to some people.

Anyway, the DS technically IS a server, once you connect to someone to play Mario Kart DS. All you'd need is a connection to the Internet, and you can make your own server and such..

Nah, the only real reason I would see the DS broadcasting in AP mode is so, for instance, you could transfer stuff off the DS onto a home computer through a network. Ugh, it could probably be a new method of ROM dumping if done properly. hmm. Well, if anything, SRAM transfering could be done fairly easily. :)

Anyway, I don't think I'd want to run any servers off my DS personally. Though it would rank high on the "Cool" meter, the DS's connection is too slow..and the processing power isn't great enough to support more than a limited number of people.

No, having the DS act as a remote control for something..like a portable WinAmp remote controller or something, would probably be more useful and fun.

As JaJa said, we also need AP mode for multiplayer games. Someone's DS has to create a local network. And others have to log on to that one.

If you're planning to transfer stuff from DS to PC you don't need AP mode, because the DS connects with the AP at home which your computer is connected to. So the DS _has_ to be in infrastructure mode. Same for creating an internet server on your DS, AP mode is not needed for that.