Anyway to overclock my PSone?

Nusumenai

Okay, so recently I've been playing a lot of PS RPGs.

Instead of just playing them on my dusty PS2 however, I decided to take advantage of my PCs power and see how much of an improvent it would make on the graphics.

I'm using ePSXe along with my PSone Bios (scph101). Along with Pete's OGL2 plugin...

Quiet a huge improvement over the PS quality, smooth textures and added a lot o color. Chrono Cross is looking like a very early PS2 game now. :P

Anyways, one thing that is bugging me are all the emulated PS slow downs.

As you may already know, the PS had FPS drops... these are emulated by ePSXe. So even when my FPS read 60, i'm getting slow downs. So, basicly I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to adjust the CPU frequency on a PS emulator to get rid of these slow downs... I'm thinking it is possible, since PSone had a performance increase over the original PS (higher clock freq?).

I'd appreciate any tips.

I'm not sure of any ps1 emulators that allow something like this (unless you're up for sorting through source code...)

However, you can, with pete's plugins change what the target FPS is.

No, you can't overclock it. The only way to make it faster on the emulator is to remove the fps limit (not very playable after that), or tweaking the plugins. Most of the slowdown happens because of the Framebuffer effects. However, unless you keep the FB effects as high as possible, you don't get all the possible effects.

Also, if you get slowdowns, the fps is not a constant 60.

But I am.

The emulator "fakes" these slow downs because it acts like the PSX.

However, you can, with pete's plugins change what the target FPS is.

I've tried this too, but I still get the emulated slow downs.

I kind of figured it would be possible... if I can run at a constant 200FPS I surely can make it run at a constant 60FPS... :P

certain ePSXe clock-bugs are not present in other recently updated emulator

I don't think they are bugs. The are intentinaly placed. The emulator acts like the PSX, so it will have the occasional slow downs.

My Specs : P4@3.2Ghz, ATI X800XL, 2.0GB of Ram

But I am.

The emulator "fakes" these slow downs because it acts like the PSX.

Then you can't do nothing about these slowdowns, as trying to tamper with the original fps results in the PSX's internal timer going haywire.

What you're asking is if you can mess with the emulated consoles timing and interrupts.......well you're not, but that is what you would be needing to smooth out things that are present on a real machine. Accuracy in an emulator is a GOOD thing, if it behaves the same as it does on the real thing, you know it's pretty accurate.

Like Agozer said, you can't speed things up just in those areas, you'd have to remove frame limiting.......and then the whole game will run too fast.

Unless an emulator has the ability to overclock part of the emulated hardware, you're SOL. And in doing so, you're asking for inaccurate emulation. Overclocking features in a few emulators I've tried, have led to creating other issues.