GeForce 4 MX440 8X 64 MB DDR TV-OUT

Jjangthekid

I played CoD on my Athlon Thunderbird 1200 MHz with a Geforce FX5200 and that worked ok for me. An FX5200 isnt that expensive and supports DirecX9 and HSS 2 which CoD needs.

So an FX5200 may please you for CoD, but it wont run HL2 or D3 or FarCry.

I played CoD on my Athlon Thunderbird 1200 MHz with a Geforce FX5200 and that worked ok for me. An FX5200 isnt that expensive and supports DirecX9 and HSS 2 which CoD needs.

So an FX5200 may please you for CoD, but it wont run HL2 or D3 or FarCry.

You sure must have one hell of a bloatware filled system in that case. You can't run Doom 3 or Farcry with an FX5200? Mind you that T-bird CPU is one hell of a bottleneck, and running that card on it gets you no further than a GeForce 3 would.

I can run Call of Duty perfectly fine on my P4 1.4Ghz with a Radeon 8500 and 512MB of RDRAM. Doom 3, configured properly, runs great on it as well on medium settings.

Farcry I can run with a mix of low and medium settings, smoothly. Half Life 2 runs smooht as well, albeit with all the details on low.

I sacrifice nothing with resolution, NEVER no damn 640x480......I can't bear that. 800x600 minimum.

When all fails, and you can't run the latest games with half decent hardware (Mine is and has been declared, OUTDATED LONG AGO) clean the crap up off your computer and getting it running better.

must be a problem with the drivers if madman is having that problem

the 3rd party driver's for my card didn't uninstall too well, so when I installed the catalyst driver and started playing Silent Hill 2 and 3 I would get random frameskips. Everything has been fine though since I used a program called "driver cleaner"

Maybe i want a minimum of 30 fps in a game on decent settings ? Doom3 and FarCry didnt run in a reasonable manner here. And low settings ? wtf ?

Try Joint Ops with low settings and you cant say wether that pix there is a plant or the opponent.

I dunno. Maybe my old comp was just plain crap. Slow ram and crappy mainboard. But it sure wasnt bloated with crap. It was one of those preconfigured systems you get everywhere. Thats why i handpicked my current components.

Edited by Madman

So yea for now I decided to get a 9600XT and 2 sticks of 512 mb SDRAM ONLY because my mobo is THAT crappy and only supports SDRAM.

When I have enough money and all that, then I will do an official upgrade ( for those who are interested.)

Thanks for all the feedback guys, I appreciated it.

You're gonna spend the money on a 9600 to put in a box that is running SDRAM? PC133 or 100? How fast is the CPU?

I'm interested in knowing these, but even without I'll tell you right now........save your money FFS. Spend the same amount on a better card when you have a better system to put it in that isn't going to choke the life out of the card.

There is no point putting a new video card in a system that cannot take advantage of it. With an ass slow system bus (Obviously if you're running SDRAM) and a CPU that can't be all that quick to boot, you'd just be throwing in a newer card that won't really perform any better than what you've already got.

You're wasting money better spent on upgrading the bones of your computer. Buy something inexpensive thats a big step up from what you've got, keep the MX vid card for the time being.......sell the old stuff on Ebay (People do buy older systems, I for one have em for server uses etc) and then take the money from that and buy a new video card for your better system........sell the old card. Make sense?

Its funny I have this card and my comp is only a p3 1ghz with 512 mbs of ram. Granted I can't play games like Doom 3 and Half life 2 at their max specs but I can play games like AOE3 and World of Warcraft at least comfortable enough to play with. I say update ur drivers with the latest ones from nvidia.com and try again. I had a similar problem, I updated and all was well again