Adel151

is there any FREE way to speed up my 56k modem.i dont want to hear anything about gettin dsl or cable just some tips and tricks.anyways dsl is still not available here why i dont know.

sorry please move my post

Edited by Adel151

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no, nothing can really speed up 56k

even 56k dialup services that say they are high-speed is a lie. What they actually do is have you use their browswer which contains algorithms to compress web pages to smaller sizes so they don't load up as long. I think all they really do is remove the comments and white spaces on scripts and html files.

Edited by Weirdy

i mean i can complain to much but my download speeds are ridiculous the best i get is 3k a second

thats about normal

Edited by garageink

don't worry; once the speed of the average broadband connection goes up + get's cheaper, 56k modems will be useless.

For ex, Verizon released a service in a few states that was $30 or so a month for a 25mb down/12mb up (or so, I forgot) connection.

btw...they aimed to target users in their own homes

I get around 6k a second for most downloads. I can also play Half-life 2 on local servers with around 190 ping which is pretty good for dial up.

Tips: When ever possible, find a local mirror for your downloads. Also if your connecting at anything less then 40kbps, complain to your phone company and tell them to fix it.

i guess it hopeless eventually i'll get cable but its a little expensive

SBC Yahoo DSL is cheap. $14 a month for a pretty fast connection.

shiit, that's less than Gay Oh Hell

but then again, not everyone lives in the u.s ':) so it's not fair to suggest an ISP available to us only

Edited by Weirdy