I wish i wish i wish

Shibathedog

I could turn back the clock on gaming to at least when around the n64 was just coming out or something, mannnnnnnn gaming was so much better in the past

remember when games where designed so you couldnt actually win? and when you didnt have to have a super good storyline or complex gameplay for i to be good? and when crappier graphics just made it more fun? I miss those days

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

things always look better when you're looking back. It wasn't as great as you remember. :thumbsup1:

things always look better when you're looking back. It wasn't as great as you remember. :thumbsup1:

I think it was. Games in the 16 bit era for instance had the graphically impressive "Wow" factor wih some better looking games, but you quickly forgot about that if the gameplay was just as impressive. The gameplay back then didn't need to be complex either, just fun. Some things are lacking with 99% of games these days, most of all the biggest one of all, the FUN FACTOR. If a game is very fun, you quickly forget about how good it looks or how good the story is.

true, it's not like we can't play those games via emulator or cheap systems from ebay. I like the way things are now. high end games and teh option to play those classics on the cheap.

I remember that back in the SNES days my dad would let me and my brother rent one game a week. We'd go through all the games, fight over which one to play, and then eventually rent it. Almost every single rental was fun.

These days, I just don't have as much fun with games. I dunno if maybe I'm finding games to be less fun with my age, or games really were more fun back then. But I do know that it's a lot different now.

I remember that back in the SNES days my dad would let me and my brother rent one game a week. We'd go through all the games, fight over which one to play, and then eventually rent it. Almost every single rental was fun.

These days, I just don't have as much fun with games. I dunno if maybe I'm finding games to be less fun with my age, or games really were more fun back then. But I do know that it's a lot different now.

Wow...very similar story to my past experiences. But I also remember renting NES and Master System games too.

I think I have lost interest in gaming for both the reasons you state - I have just grown up, and also because games were better back then.

Don't get me wrong, there still are a couple of cool games being released today, but I think older games were just more fun and more playable - even if they were more harder to complete, which is something I personally find.

Todays games are very much obsessed with graphics and having an oscar winning plot, which is great, but not when the fun factor gets left on the side of the road.

Another thing I find are games are less creative and inventive these days - because games are such big business, developers are scared to push genre boundaries just in case their game flops. They feel safer staying in the usual genres and franchises.

I remember booting up new games on my old Amiga computer, and wondering, "wow, what the hell! I've never seen a game like this before!" And to discover yet another oddball game that some obscure developer came up with. You don't get that today.

I'm a person who never got his own 8-bit or a 16-bit console. My first console was the Playstation that I bought with my own money around the time FFVIII came out. I was so jealous of my fiends because they all had had their NES, SNES or Genesis consoles... thankfully, I got to play at their house. I got a Commodore 128 when I was 6 and a close friend of mine had an Amiga 500. Later came the Gameboy,

To stay on topic, yes, the games were better back then. Simplicity and addictiveness ruled over visuals. Anyone remember Gyruss, Bruce Less, Pole Position, Astérix and School Daze? Good stuff.

It's not that I hate today's games, far from it. Games still provide some serious fun factor. Granted, the industry is much more graphics-oriented, and is somewhat at fault for creating those Bill-BOX fanboys that know nothing (or don't care) about the games of yesteryear. Still, game like Katamari Damacy and ICO still make us go "Whoa".

I breaks my heart to see that fewer and fewer developers embrace 2D games (although some still do, thank god) because "2D games do not do justice to the console we are developing for and thus do not harness the full power of the system"... AKA the Sony syndrome.

Now, who wants to bring the Video Game Crash of 1983 up to speed and see how the developers react?

I miss innovative new game concepts. In 8 and 16 Bit times, the developers tried something new now and then. Ecco the Dolphin for example, a totally different game concept, realised in a beautiful way made the game popular. Another world is another example.

Lemmings. And so on.

Today its all about first person shooters and realtime strategy. Maybe some (online) RPG now and then. Thats all there is to play today.

No company dares to try something new.