A question about saturn

Yes there is. There are 2 main versions of the Saturn however, and it only works with one, the Model 2. The model 2 (in 99% of cases) has round buttons on the system, the model 1 has oval buttons.

The model 2 has 21 pins on the ribbon cable from the motherboard to the cdrom (Where the chip is placed) and the model 1 has 20, making them incompatible.

There was at a time, chips for M1's, but nobody makes em anymore.

You can buy one from http://www.jandaman.com/games.mvc?p=satmod&Category_code=SAT

We have another forum member too who I believe sells Saurn mods, I just can't remember who it was. Hopefully he'll speak up because I think he sells em a little cheaper.

Thanks for the info.Now i need to buy a Saturn(because emulation is really bad) and to burn some cd's(i have like 20 tiltes that i really want to play),but this will be the hardest part.I found the images of the games(in many formats) on the net.Anyone try to burn saturn backups?

Ya, the ModChip only works on the 2nd Saturn version. I know, cause i bought some ModChip, and found out later it wont work in my Saturn Modell. Anyway, there is a cheaper way to play copied games on the Saturn without a Modchip.

Here is how:

Open your Saturn and tape the CD-case-open-detector (made short here. Instructions out there)

Then do the Swap trick.

Put in your CD copy when powering Saturn on.

Saturn checks boot sector.

Saturn moves laser to CDs outside. CD will turn slower at this point.

You pop your copy out and put some Saturn original in.

Saturn checks copy protection on original. Wont notice, cause you taped the CD-open-sensor so the Saturn doesnt recognise when you have the CD tray open.

When copy protection on original game succeeded, Saturn will try to load the game. Laser will move back to th inner CD area. At this point you replace the Original with your backup again.

Backups boots - you are pleased.

If you figured the swap trick out, you dont need a modchip.

And once you got used to it, its no big deal.

Yes, the cd-drive-motor will die earlier, but well, dunno, the Satrun didnt kick me off my seat. In fact its the console i use the lessest/most less.

Cool! thanks. :P

Something else:It dosen,t matter if the console is ntsc,pal or japan(of course model 2) version with the modchip you can play any versions of games.If i get one but it is american put a modchip,can i play backups of european games,right?