Are CPS1/2 hack patches common?

chichi

Hello,

Recently I had come across quite a few places that do hack patches for neo geo games.... but I was wondering if it's just as common for CPS1 and CPS2 games??? Google doesn't do much for me :blink:

The only thing I have come across for CPS stuff is character colour changes and that's about it. There was another site showing extra character slots in Street Fighter Alpha 1 where Dan, Vega and Akuma were ready selectable, but It was all in Japanese or Chinese and I had no clue to what was being said.

Hmmmmm comments anyone? :blink:

There are CPS1 hacks out there, but they aren't anywhere in the ballpark as common as neogeo hacks.

Afaik, there aren't any CPS2 hacks at all (or any sort of CPS2 bootlegs)

AhhHhHhHhHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhh hello again iq_132.

CPS1 i have come across all sorts of messed up Street Fighter hacks, CPS2 i've never come across such hack patches as you mentioned, especially compared to that of Neo Geo anyways baaah!

Hmm must be hard to make hack patches for cps2 games or something ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :D

At least I now know there's no such thing as hacked patches for CPS2.

Cheeeeeeeeeerrzzzzz

Edited by chichi

Hmm must be hard to make hack patches for cps2 games or something ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :D

Yeah :D It's because the Program data of the CPS2 games has some of the nastiest encryption ever seen on a video game system. It still hasn't been decrypted, it just uses Xors as a nasty, but effective, hack to make the games run.

Ohhhhh I see. Not surprised why CPS3 hasn't even been touched then :blink:

The only patching I have done with CPS2 so far is adding character color skins on games like Street Fighter Alpha 3... Oh and a nude patch for Cammy on SSF2X Grand Master challenge :(

Maybe one day CPS2 will see the light of day of real hack patches on the same level as neo geo. ;)

(or any sort of CPS2 bootlegs)

Phoenixed sets in fact (battery removed & decrypted program roms soldered instead, in the carts)... btw it's not possible to save the decrypted program roms in ram, as cps 2 games require xor files to be loaded as decrypted.

Ah yeah, I forgot about those. Someone pics of those a while back... was it on emu-france?

• 1 month later...
Yeah :( It's because the Program data of the CPS2 games has some of the nastiest encryption ever seen on a video game system.  It still hasn't been decrypted, it just uses Xors as a nasty, but effective, hack to make the games run.

Sorry for reviving a long dead thread, and de-railing it but Encryption meathods are of interest to me and It would be sort of strange to Start a thread with a quote as a first post.

Anyway, IQ say Xors are a nasty but effective hack to make the games run...

But to my understanding, Xors Decrypt by XORing the file with the key, and Xors are derivied by comparing the Decrypted rom to the encrypted.

So I don't understand why he says the CPS2 games havn't been decrypted.

I just want to know if i'm completely wrong on how this works, and why emulators don't just run a decrypted rom. The unencrypted game was required to create the xor was it not? and even if not, can't the Xor create a decrypted rom?

by the way, I realize IQ is probably not going to reply since this last post was one this thread and it was on november. that's why I refered to him in 3rd person.

Edited by Unessential

But to my understanding, Xors Decrypt by XORing the file with the key, and Xors are derivied by comparing the Decrypted rom to the encrypted.

So I don't understand why he says the CPS2 games havn't been decrypted.

I just want to know if i'm completely wrong on how this works, and why emulators don't just run a decrypted rom. The unencrypted game was required to create the xor was it not? and even if not, can't the Xor create a decrypted rom?

I'll give my two cents which may be wrong, so people are free to correct any mistakes.

There are no decrypted roms. The encryption on the CPS-2 boards is such a biatch that people with the know-how need to dump the encrypted rom and then start thiking of a way go past the encryption.

I'm thinking that the reason the encryption is so hard that the game actually checks if the encryption is still intact before running, and also checks if the necessary whether or not the required data has been changed in any way. Hence why all the necessary files are still there unaltered and intact. The XORs are clones of certain files with the exception that they jump in after the game has done the checkup of the original files and see that they are "ok". So the XOR does it's magic immediately after this 'check' has been completed.

In a sense, with the XOR in the archive, the rom is decrypted, and that's the closest you can get to a decrypted CPS-2 game as of now.

Good old suicide batteries...

but didn't Capcom shut down their board repair companies?

I mean, I'd be pretty pissed if I didn't know about suicide batteries and my CPS2 board died, Going to CAPCOM and finding out they don't do replacements/repairs anymore.

Which brings up another question... Are suicide batteries a design flaw? or were they intentional?

Edited by Unessential