DS Tunnelling

pepsiman

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just hope malware doesn't become a problem with this online demo server.

No this won't because we currently can't sign our homebrew, so it could only be a problem with FlashMe but then you are able to reflash it.

You don't need to be so scared, there's a lot of crapware for your computer and you still go online.

Hurray!

I just hope malware doesn't become a problem with this online demo server.

No this won't because we currently can't sign our homebrew, so it could only be a problem with FlashMe but then you are able to reflash it.

You don't need to be so scared, there's a lot of crapware for your computer and you still go online.

Hurray!

We still do wanna sign homebrew...

The DS Download Play only runs software that has the RSA signature on it, to prevent running unauthorized software.

The only way around this so far is to reflash the DS with FlashMe (a replacement firmware) that disables the RSA signature check and will run any binary sent to the DS.

In the end though, most people would rather have the ability to get the RSA signature on homebrew binaries, and be able to run them on the stock firmware. Hence the quest to create RSA signed homebrew.

Anyway, I don't think this has been mentioned anywhere, but is there any word on what platform this software is running on/will be developed for?

I know it is using the RTL2500 card, as the WMB server does, so I am going to assume then that is is also using the driver for WMB, which means Windows.

So then to continue this line of logic, this software would have the same platform limitations as the WMB server, in that it can only be ported to a different platform once a compatible driver has been written for that platform?

At present the app is limited to the rtl2500 chipset based cards, specificly the ones that firefly's driver works with. The code for the tunnel app itself is designed to be mostly portable though, so only minimal effort will be required to port it to a new system if a driver exists.

As such, yes, the driver is going to be the limiting factor for linux... but depending on how much free time I have, I may attempt to do the driver thing in linux as well.

-Stephen

At present the app is limited to the rtl2500 chipset based cards, specificly the ones that firefly's driver works with.  The code for the tunnel app itself is designed to be mostly portable though, so only minimal effort will be required to port it to a new system if a driver exists.

As such, yes, the driver is going to be the limiting factor for linux... but depending on how much free time I have, I may attempt to do the driver thing in linux as well.

-Stephen

Wow ! ;) I hope you will have free time !

Hi, I've been following Sgstair's work on DSWifi for a while now, and now that you are nearly finished, I am very excited to see this tunneling app coming. I'm new to this homebrew thing, so I have a few questions about it. I hope I don't sound too stupid. :unsure:

First, will this work with download play on the DS for games such as Super Mario 64 DS? I kinda doubt it, but anything is possible I suppose.

Second, in games such as Metroid Prime Hunters: First Hunt, there seems to be a limited amount of rooms available for wireless play. How will the application make more rooms for people once the maximum number of rooms has been hit?

Finally, will the application have a friends list or something of the sort? It is nice to have those options, but certainly not an absolute essential.

I also want to congratulate Sgstair on earning half the WiFi Bounty. Judging by your progress page, you earned every penny. Take the rest of it, man.

I apologize if these are obvious questions for some people, but, as I said, I'm new with this stuff. I truly cannot wait for this to be done, and I look forward to playing all of you in First Hunt and Goldeneye.