Going to get a Mod-Chip

iq_132

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

your chip will have flashbios so you got a number of ways to flash your mod, more info can be found here: http://teamxecuter.com/flashbios/?CMSSESSI...730eb4940e84d84

i like using the network flash since you can use your pc to send the bios and flash but so long you got the xbox connected via router or such.

best bios to use is the latest x2 bios which i believe is still at X2 5235.

from there, you'll need to add a dash its really up to you which to pick but the 2 i suggest is either avalaunch or unleashx. others may say to use xbmc as a dash but i personally find it best just as an app since it gets updated just about daily but again its up to you.

Yeah, like PRican said, many people would suggest XBMC as a dash... and that is indeed what I recommend. It gets updated all the time as he said, but IMO that is a good thing. You don't have to update if you don't want.

Whenever a new official CVS build is created the changes will be posted on the XBox-Scene front page. I usually just read through the changes and decide if any of the changes are either important or impact me in some way. But I'd say that 95%+ of the time, the bug fixes that are listed I'll have never actually encountered myself. So I usually just pay attention to what has been added or changed and decide if I want to update.

Edited by Thraxen

I've done some softmods with the NDURE exploit and they work really well most of the time. Every once in a while, the machine won't boot to the dashboards. It's very rare, but it has happened.

I think the biggest complaint I have about softmods is that you're required to lock the HDD to make it useable. In today's Xbox environment, it's not necessary to lock it anymore, since Xbox Live bannings are happening left & right.

I think a modchip is still the best way to go and a properly installed one gives you stability and you can disable the opening animation, change colors, etc, unlike a softmod.

As for dashboard, I prefer UnleashX myself. Built in Gamesaves Manager, File Explorer, Auto Update feature, built in FTP Client for Xbox to Xbox transfers, etc. make it really nice.

I would use XBMC if it had an Auto Update feature due to the amount of times they release a new version and having to re-do my entire XML file and re-calibrate my TV screen every time is a pain in the ass.

Grrrr.... I got the chip today and installed it. I had it set up perfectly (seemingly), it started up right to the cromwell bios and asked me to flash a bios.

I burned a CD-RW with the bios on it (following a tut on xbox-scene).

Loaded the CD-RW into the drive, the bios flashed fine, then the xbox shut off.

I turned it back on, it reset twice and then the CD status light flashed red and green...

Guess the bios flashed incorrectly :rolleyes: Now I have to buy the programmer.

I think the biggest complaint I have about softmods is that you're required to lock the HDD to make it useable.  In today's Xbox environment, it's not necessary to lock it anymore, since Xbox Live bannings are happening left & right.

I've still got mine softmodded this way (I haven't had time to install my X3 yet, and the softmod gives me incentive to be lazy as well, but I'll get around to it) and I cannot boot my Xbox at all with the drive unlocked, doesn't matter if I'm booting the softmod or the retail dash. Get an error.

P.S. For the people who are "wary" of softmodding, softmodding isn't dangerous one bit if you have half a brain. Flashing your TSOP (The onboard bios....you can't do so on a 1.6 btw) is whats dangerous. If anything goes wrong, your Xbox is done for unless you feel like ripping the TSOP out and putting it in a programmer to re-flash it.