News Posting Backlash and Apology

First of all we are talking about emulation news sites not some Joe Smo community forum here. There is a big difference and there has been a long standing golden rule about news crediting and news posting etiquette.

I honestly wonder if you know what it takes to run a successful emulation news site and whats exactly invlolved. You won't make it very far just collecting info from 1-2-3 sites daily.. unless you are talking about collecting that info from other emulation news sites. You can't honestly tell me you would be able to keep an updated news site by just checking 1-2-3 authors sites a day. It takes much more effort then that to have a successful news site.

Thats one of the problems right there. If you have a site that just checks other news sites (not the authors sites) for news then whats the purpose of even having that site?

You asked who asked "you" or "him" to do all the hard work.. nobody asked. The hard work is what it takes to run an emulation news site. If you don't want to do the hard work or to take the effort of collecting the news on your own then you probably shouldn't be running an emulation news site in the first place. To be honest that question didn't make much sense. The whole purpose of an emulation news site is to have a place where all emulation news is gathered to save the visitors time so they don't have to go around and check for news.

The credits are a show of respect and to give something back for that other sites effort and work. If its so easy to get it from the authors site then why are news posters going to other news sites to get the news? That is why there is credit given because that is where "This" sites news for that item came from. It didn't come from the authors site if you read it on their news site first. Obviously the original source for news is the authors site which generaly is always linked to and has never been a problem. Its that fact people are taking other peoples effort and not giving anything back for it. How exactly is that hard to understand? Why is it so hard to give thanks to another site or person for their efforts of collecting the news if thats where you got the news from?

Edited by Keith

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Myabe we need more news posters. That stick to the emulation that they know about and keep track of those sites.

I know there are plenty for the likes of Mame but there is many other emulation news we need posters for.

On another note :

I know Gamecop is working very hard on his site. and has come very far with it as well So lets all give GC a big thanks for all his efforts. Without GC and others we would not have a cool place like 1emulation to visit.

First of all we are talking about emulation news sites not some Joe Smo community forum here. There is a big difference and there has been a long standing golden rule about news crediting and news posting etiquette.

I honestly wonder if you know what it takes to run a successful emulation news site and whats exactly invlolved. You won't make it very far just collecting info from 1-2-3 sites daily.. unless you are talking about collecting that info from other emulation news sites. You can't honestly tell me you would be able to keep an updated news site by just checking 1-2-3 authors sites a day. It takes much more effort then that to have a successful news site.

Thats one of the problems right there. If you have a site that just checks other news sites (not the authors sites) for news then whats the purpose of even having that site?

You asked who asked "you" or "him" to do all the hard work.. nobody asked. The hard work is what it takes to run an emulation news site. If you don't want to do the hard work or to take the effort of collecting the news on your own then you probably shouldn't be running an emulation news site in the first place. To be honest that question didn't make much sense. The whole purpose of an emulation news site is to have a place where all emulation news is gathered to save the visitors time so they don't have to go around and check for news.

The credits are a show of respect and to give something back for that other sites effort and work. If its so easy to get it from the authors site then why are news posters going to other news sites to get the news? That is why there is credit given because that is where "This" sites news for that item came from. It didn't come from the authors site if you read it on their news site first. Obviously the original source for news is the authors site which generaly is always linked to and has never been a problem. Its that fact people are taking other peoples effort and not giving anything back for it. How exactly is that hard to understand? Why is it so hard to give thanks to another site or person for their efforts of collecting the news?

the analogy was fine, it applies to any forum community

Hey I never said, giving thanks is bad(dun wanna look like a douchebag here), but I'd only thank you or other sites if the news was completely theirs, not copied from other sites.

Let me ask you this, does any emu site give thanks to the author site?

I really don't think so. It's because you guys take it for granted. If that's the case then why should we thank a 3rd party site for doing what any joe could do, and that is visiting the author site for exact and correct news.

And of course here comes the credit issue. Are you guys so desperate for attention, members, bigger community etc. that you have to cling to the slightest hint of name-mentioning? That would be sad.

You are prolly right, I don't have what it takes to run a emulation site. And I prolly won't in the near future. However if and when I do make such a site, my opinions on this matter will be enforced as rules.

This is what made 1emu suck in the first place, the dumbass need to affiliate with other sites. That's why there's no rom request or stuff like that, bcuz emulation sites are stuck up on no-rom policies and other crap like that.

Myabe we need more news posters. That stick to the emulation that they know about and keep track of those sites.

Yeah that would help. :ph34r:

(next comments unrelated you James.. just some thoughts about news crediting)

I have to wonder why "news crediting" has such a bad stigma to it? Do people actually feel bad when they have to credit another news site? I do wonder why people refuse to do it no matter what sometimes.

- - - - - - - - -

the analogy was fine, it applies to any forum community

Hey I never said, giving thanks is bad(dun wanna look like a douchebag here), but I'd only thank you or other sites if the news was completely theirs, not copied from other sites.

Let me ask you this, does any emu site give thanks to the author site?

I really don't think so. It's because you guys take it for granted. If that's the case then why should we thank a 3rd party site for doing what any joe could do, and that is visiting the author site for exact and correct news.

And of course here comes the credit issue. Are you guys so desperate for attention, members, bigger community etc. that you have to cling to the slightest hint of name-mentioning? That would be sad.

You are prolly right, I don't have what it takes to run a emulation site. And I prolly won't in the near future. However if and when I do make such a site, my opinions on this matter will be enforced as rules.

This is what made 1emu suck in the first place, the dumbass need to affiliate with other sites. That's why there's no rom request or stuff like that, bcuz emulation sites are stuck up on no-rom policies and other crap like that.

Credit has always gone to author other wise whats the point of even posting it if you are not even going mention or even link to the authors site? Thats not even an issue.

Now you say why would somebody credit a 3rd party for what any joe could do? That’s just it not every joe is doing that. Not every joe is going straight to the authors site for the news. There is some that just go to other news sites and just lift (steal, take, or whatever you want to call it) that sites news so they don't have to take the time or effort of searching for their own news. Now this is not always the case. There is also times where there is a new emulator or an emulator that is not updated often. A lot of times one site will post about it and other news posters will see that news on other news sites and post it too. Now if they never knew about the authors site they should just credit the authors site and say screw it to the news site that broke the news?

You basically come off like there should be no crediting other news sites whatsoever unless their news is exclusive. The credit is not so much for the news as it is for the effort and show of appreciation and respect.

"And of course here comes the credit issue. Are you guys so desperate for attention, members, bigger community etc. that you have to cling to the slightest hint of name-mentioning? That would be sad."

As for that comment it has nothing to do with that. If anything its the opposite. Why do some sites have to rely on other news sites for their news? The most up to date news sites do not post news so other emulation news sites can come up from behind and ride on their coat tails (basically why do they have to rely on another site for their news).

This is not just 1Emulation and in reality 1Emulation doesn't have a news crediting problem besides this one incident. I just speaking in general for any emulation news site out there.

Also have to remember this is what GameCop wanted. He wanted a respected news site and in order to have that you generally have to play by the news community rules. I didn't make them but I do now they are not hard to follow.

Edited by Keith

Yeah that would help. :ph34r:

(next comments unrelated you James.. just some thoughts about news crediting)

I have to wonder why "news crediting" has such a bad stigma to it? Do people actually feel bad when they have to credit another news site? I do wonder why people refuse to do it no matter what sometimes.

well afaik, all news posters on this site credit the site they get their info from, so there aren't any problems.

Edited my above post.. don't feel like reposting it down here. :ph34r:

(Disclaimer: My views and opinions are not to be taken negetive or out to get anyone or to make 1Emulation look bad. They are just the thoughts and opinions of someone who has been around the block a few times. :ph34r: )

Sorry another edit: I should also point out when I say lifting the news I mean basically posting either word for word or just changing a few words here and there and then just posting it as your own.

In this case with plot he copied word for word Kojote's posts (not authors site posts) so I can see where Kojote is coming from and I also understand maybe plot didn't grasp the whole news posting thing. Basically a live and learn experience all around. ;)

Also not sure if it should have been a public outing either but not my place to say. Privatly with the people invloved could have been better. Not that many people check Emunoobs anyways and I doubt it would have been an issue with other sites. The public outing probably brought in more attention then there needed to be.

Edited by Keith

Very nice way to look at things Keith, and you are right too. I haven't been posting news because of slowdowns in certain corners emulation in general, and the fact that most news worth posting have already been posted when I log on the next day.

But like I've said before, I credit the place I get the info from, and if there's a good reason, the original site as well.

Well the same sort of thing happened to me early in my news-posting career. Basically I was being lazy and I didn't know how things worked and that crediting was important. After talking to GameCop and Keith I was able to grasp the underlying concepts and post news in the accepted way.

yeah I agree and I feel bad about pushing my opinion. I don't want it to come off as attacking anyone elses opinions. I have a lot of respect for 1Emulation and you guys are doing a great job when it comes to the news. Ever since GC and crew stepped up the news posting they have been one of the most up to date news sites around. If I was GameCop I wouldn't let this one thing slow me down and it won't effect 1Emulation especially since GameCop is always willing to fix stuff without problems.