Find your Mac ID

JaJa

That's a common mistruth - flashme does not overwrite all of firmware, and things like the mac address are *not* modified.

So no, not every flashme'd DS has the same MAC address.

-Stephen

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grr....

Only the first versions of flashme did, and that was only people who used other peoples copies (remember you had to sign up and get a personalised copy?)

Darkfaders Utility PPflash has the same mac address, however that's easily changed, and you only need that if you completly destroy the firmware (it involves soldering).

AFAIK if your mac address is damaged then your given a random mac address. IIRC once devices are communicating with TCP/IP the mac address isn't used, it's all IP. Mac addresses are only for local networks.

Edited by JaJa

Grr....

Only the first versions of flashme did, and that was only people who used other peoples copies (remember you had to sign up and get a personalised copy?)

Darkfaders Utility PPflash has the same mac address, however that's easily changed, and you only need that if you completly destroy the firmware (it involves soldering).

AFAIK if your mac address is damaged then your given a random mac address. IIRC once devices are communicating with TCI/IP the mac address isn't used, it's all IP. Mac addresses are only for local networks.

Yeah, I figured the personal copy was to prevent anything unique to your ds to be overwritten. Thanks for the clearup.

That's a common mistruth - flashme does not overwrite all of firmware, and things like the mac address are *not* modified.

So no, not every flashme'd DS has the same MAC address.

-Stephen

This does raise the topic of MAC spoofing, though.

If the source to flashme was ever released (not going to happen, I know) or when someone figures out how to write to the firmware themselves, they would be able to effectively change their MAC address.

Interesting. :D

What I was more interested in, though, was if you would be able to release the source of your firmware viewer?

You can actually do this if you use Darkfader's PPflash app.

Why you'd want to i don't know (suppose if an AP mac filtered...)

I meant software-wise, without having to solder anything. :ph34r:

And I can imagine one reason could be account spoofing.

(note: I'm just plotting a possible scenario here, I'm not actually intending on doing this. I'm just interested in what could happen.)

Hello, Im new here.

The problem is not the mac address.... but the firmware itself (when flashed with FlashMe)

take a look at this http://forum.gbadev.org/viewtopic.php?t=72...der=asc&start=0

The games that use the Wi-Fi will corrupt your DS firmware, because the Wi-Fi settings are stored in the firmware and if you are using a hacked firmware(flashme) your DS firmware will be corrupted.

You can make your DS work again by using FlashMe Recovery and then afterwards maybe reflash with the old firmware.

But AFAIK MK accounts aren't done by mac address.

It's a random 12 digit number.

That's not true.

Recently, Jim Merrick (Marketing director of NOE) said in an interview that we can add friends to our friend roster simply adding his mac address.

A transcript from the interview (in spanish)

Sin embargo, si lo que queremos es competir contra nuestros amigos, sí que podemos chatear, porque es seguro, cómodo y es alguien al que le hemos dado nuestro identificador. Cada Nintendo DS viene marcada con un código MAC, al que se accede con facilidad desde las opciones WiFi de la consola. Este código será el que tengamos que facilitar a la gente contra la que queramos competir para poder chatear con ellos y establecer partidas mucho más completas y elaboradas.

image0064.jpg

Sorry for my english >_<

Edited by XixD