weird disconnecting prob dealing with my router

Prican25

lately i've been noticing a problem dealing with my linksys router that keeps disconneting me whenever i try to watch a windows media video from say gamespot and anything like that.

i have to unplug/replug the router for everything to connect again and this has been happening more often which is getting to be annoying :P

linksys model: BEFW11S4 V4 wireless B

anyone know a way to fix this?

I have one of the exact same routers with the exact same problem, same version and everything, i tried reflashing it about 100 times and reconfiguring it, there was no fixing it

It would happen randomly for no reason too, to the point where i couldnt get into the HTTP Config page eventually (It kept getting worse and worse)

recently, after it being unplugged for months, i reflashed it with the latest firmware, and disabled teh wirless and im using it as a wired router to share an internet connection from my laptop into my consoles (Laptop has wireless adaptor) and it hasnt done it since

But you wouldnt have wireless anymore :/ Try the newest firmware though.

some routers just plain die

last year I had a cheap $10 one that died after only 2 months of actual use. It would refuse to split the connection, so I bought a new one and it has been at work since the beginning of January :P

Edited by Weirdy

say, why is everyone fooling around with routers ? I have a simple 8-Port-Switch here to have all my comps in the network use the internet connection of this one. I have 5 comps here and all works fine. Why does one need a router in a home-lan ?

say, why is everyone fooling around with routers ? I have a simple 8-Port-Switch here to have all my comps in the network use the internet connection of this one. I have 5 comps here and all works fine. Why does one need a router in a home-lan ?

so that more that one device can be connect to the internet at the same time + hardware-based firewall

so that more that one device can be connect to the internet at the same time + hardware-based firewall

yeah, i can surf the net from all my comps at the same time. I have 2 networking cards in my main comp, 1 for DSL the other for LAN. I have internet connection sharing enabled, made this one 192.168.0.1 and set the other 4 comps tcp/ip config to use 192.168.0.1 as standard gateway.

Works fine, my wife spends my money on ebay while i play Joint Operations online. I use desktop firewall. theres some firewall on my mainboard, but i dont use it. So why these expensice routers are needed, i dont understand :P

yeah, i can surf the net from all my comps at the same time. I have 2 networking cards in my main comp, 1 for DSL the other for LAN. I have internet connection sharing enabled, made this one 192.168.0.1 and set the other 4 comps tcp/ip config to use 192.168.0.1 as standard gateway.

Works fine, my wife spends my money on ebay while i play Joint Operations online. I use desktop firewall. theres some firewall on my mainboard, but i dont use it. So why these expensice routers are needed, i dont understand :P

because it's easier to set up and wi-fi and hardware based firewall. and to do waht u did don't u need to leave ur computer on?

The problem with ICS is that alot of things don't work properly without a direct connection to the internet. This is also the case with routers too, but you can remedy that easier with a router.

I run a dual hub setup. 2 network cards in every machine that is connected to the internet. One hub is a 10mbit hub with my cable modem hooked up to the uplink port.

The other hub is internal LAN only.

This not only allows each machine direct internet access, but also segregates my internal network from it. A far more secure setup when each machine is configured properly, than any router/firewall can provide.

Ryuken:

Turning your computer ON and OFF all the time is like starting a car over and over. It's worse for it than leaving it on for days, even weeks at a time. My machines are always on, and my primary box has only ever been shut off for hardware upgrades, cleaning etc.